Best system for opera lover at $30,000

One of my friends asked me to recommend a system for her new house. She and her husband are opera lovers. Also love jazz and othe classical music. Her budget is $30,000, and do not decide to buy new items or used ones. My suggestion is Thiel CS6 + Mark Levinson 380 and 333 + Wadia 860. Please give me your advice.
fusilli

Showing 2 responses by skull

In general, I feel your suggestions are better suited to a hifi lover than a music lover. I doubt whether she would be able to enjoy this system long term, as it would be lean and cold. Instead, a pair of Vandersteens, Magnepans 3.6s, Shun Mook Bella Voces (rare but excellent), or smaller Avalons, coupled with some ARC or CJ electronics, might be a more enjoyable system IMHO. And the more musical sound would be less likely to require room treatment, etc. Pearson is right, 3.6s with subs are competitive with anything. Quit believing Stereopile, most solid state and digital is junk.
Garfish, Sorry to use this as a forum on S'pile, but I will anyway! If you don't think their advice is self-serving, then why are two Mark Levinson amplifiers, the 33h and the regular 333 series both class A? If they are both "the best money can buy, reminiscent of the real thing", then obviously the 33h is a huge waste of money and they should say so. I believe they don't want to upset readers with the fact that better stuff (and the 33h is clearly better)usually costs a lot more, and they won't put a big advertiser's main stuff in class B. Also, have you read any of Scull's recent reviews? He used to be their clown, putting dots and cones everywhere, now he's the mainstream "it all sound so state of the art I just can't believe it could get any better" Wes Phillips character. C'mon, the resident tweak and tube guy all of the sudden thinks the Levinson ref line stage is so great? Please! My advice above was based on equipment that I've had in my room (including the CS6s), not my desire to maximize ad sales. So don't think I'm asking for offerings, just realize when you're reading opinions from those that are quite happy to sell them to the highest bidder.