Best Subwoofer for Magnepan speakers

Greetings Audiophiles ! I would like your imput. My present system is composed of the following: 1. Conrad Johnson PF-R Pre-amp. 2. McIntosh MC-300 Power Amp. 3. Magnepan 3.5 Speakers. As everyone already knows, the maggies have a great soundstage (with a powerhouse amp) but are somewhat weak on the bass. So do I want a subwoofer with a built in amp or do I want to power one with a dedicated amp? What brand subwoofer? Budget around $1500.00
I really value all your opinions! Thanks Kyle
128x128hifihutch
the only one will work seamless with Magnepan is REL SUB. Looking for REL STORM III
I run a Sunfire Architectural Signature sub with my 3.6's. It produces astounding results. I listened to several different subs before purchasing the Sunfire. I have no regrets to this date. I hope this helps.............
Hello,

I don't know how someone can claim that only one model will work "seemless" here. How on earth do you measure or validate what is seemless? I think it has far more to do with placement, room interaction, crossover points, amps used on the Maggies, etc.

I have 3.5s and use a Velodyne ULD18 with incredible results. The problem with just one sub is that you have to set its level high enough to match the level of the two main speakers. All of the low frequency signal coming from one localized spot can be tricky to optimize with all the room interactions issues. I'd like to find another ULD18 so that I could place one behind each 3.5 and adjust their levels individually to achieve this.

I run the Maggies full range and set the crossover to the sub's amp at 50hz. Ideally I'd like to crossover the Maggies at 40-50hz to increase the headroom of the amps (Wolcott Presence). Ideally you want to find a test CD or LP and set the level of the sub to the Maggies with a sound pressure level meter.

John