Best sounding "budget" integrated amp for Vandersteen 2C.

Looking for the best sounding "budget" integrated amp for use with an Vandersteen 2C (1980’s version) speakers. CD source alternates between a Sony PS1 and Cal Audio Icon II Power Boss. Budget is roughly $300, maybe up to $400. I’ve been thinking something from NAD, but with all the different models out there, I have no idea which models are the best sounding--regardless of power. It will also need to have a phono stage. I’d like to have a remote too, but it’s not a deal breaker. My system is in a second bedroom, so even though I like to crank every once in a while, most of the time I'm listening at reasonable levels. My listening tastes consists of stuff like Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Tangerine Dream, etc.
jsbach1685
McCormack and Vandersteen are a great match, enjoy!

Yes, I've seen this statement many times in my research/readings. 
Now that I have the power/pre set up, next is to make sure I'm using the right sounding cables. I'm currently using Mogami W3082 I got at Redco and Mogami 2549 as interconnects. John Rutan suggested Audioquest CV-4 speaker cable and AQ Red River for interconnects. I found (and bought) some used CV-4 and I installed it into my system last night. Frankly, I'm not sure if I heard a difference. But, John said to give it some playing time before judging. 
Audioquest seems to be the go to with Vandy’s. Another good option with your amp would be Goertz Alpha-Core MI 1’s, be sure to use the offered RC networks.
Update: 
AQ CV-4's have opened up nicely...
And yes, there is a difference between them and the mogami's. Also picked up a pair of AQ Golden Gate for my streamer DAC (HRT iStreamer). Damn! that cable is a noticeable improvement!

Next up is the AQ Red Rivers for Pwr/Pre and CD, then the proper stands (sound anchors) for the Vandys.