Best Remote $1,250 used preamp?

I need a new preamp, and refuse to give up full function remote control (volume and source selection). I have a budget of around $1k, but could go to $1250 for the right deal. What are the best options? I am thinking:

Conrad Johnson PFR
Bell Canto
Sonic Frontiers Line 1
BAT

I have a Sonograph amp now, but it is next on the upgrade list. Have Golden Tube SEP2 now for the pre.

Thanks!
Paul
968firehawk

Showing 3 responses by muralman1

Pass Aleph P. I owned Sonic Frontiers Line pre amp and the Pass is by far and away a cleaner, truer, and more musical pre amp. In fact, I wish there was some way you or anyone here could come my way and listen to the fabulous Pass Aleph P ($1500) and the even more fabulous Pass X150 amp powering Apogee Duetta Signatures. Simply end game. I've listened to all the amps you are considering on Apogee ribbon speakers and the Pass amps are significantly better. There is a real reason for the difference and deserves further reading about.
I don't believe in reviewer's comments off hand, but one professional reviewer I read on the net for the SF Line 1 commented on a midband slight chalky dryness. Darn if the reviewer wasn't right on. Everything else was exemplary about the Line 1. I am running a Pass Aleph P with a Pass X-150 driving Apogee Duetta Signatures. The mids are perfection. We just had a four cd player shoot out at my place and the Pass duo adopted the subtle characteristics of each player. With all solid state players the mids were a tad dry, such is the case pf the digital cd medium. Only the tubed cd player totally clarified the mids. Tubes are important. If you get the front end right, the Pass amps will be a blessing. They have been for me. I don't miss the Sonic Frontiers at all.
Yes, I agree with Yowser. Different tubes will alter the sound accordingly. My SF sounded positively awful with it's Sovteks. Using different tubes, the sound neared perfection. I never went on to Telefunken or Siemens because of the expense. After I had sold the Sonic Frontiers, I was told just changing the last two tubes would do the trick. I wonder if anyone has tried that?