Best preamp for Audio Research VT100mkI

I just got a used VT100MKI and was wondering which preamp would work best. I can only spend about $1000.00 or less. Thanks for the help...
demar

Showing 1 response by dog_lover

Unless you are planning on upgrading the VT100 to Mk II status, I would look for a fuller sounding pre-amp in the upper bass/lower mids than the LS-2. This of course depends on the rest of your system/room make-up. The MK II upgrade makes the VT-100 a totally different amp IMO. Much better bass and slam and fuller mid range. The LS-2 is also a little light in these areas as well IMO. Have not heard the LS-7 or LS-9. Have seen a couple of Sonic Frontiers SFL-2's out there for about $1250. If you can find one in good working order, that pre-amp is much fuller in the upper bass and offers much greater resolution and soundstaging than the LS-2. Can be a little bright in the treble depending on cabling and other system components though but no more so than the LS-2. The SFL-2 is still a lot of pre-amp for the price. Maybe Kevin Deal can find you one in good working order? Good luck.