Best powered Subwoofer for HT only... Under 1000

I need a subwoofer for my HT system. It will never be used for music, just movies. Besides keeping the price below $1000, the height of the unit cannot exceed 16 inches since it will go into a cabinet below the viewing screen. I have read great things about the Hsu VTF-2 which is only $500.00 (and 16 inches tall). Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Thanks, Ken
kgproperties

Showing 1 response by skidrhow

If you are willing to push the $1000 envelope, then you may want to look at the M&K MX700. It has two 8" drivers and has a total size of 14" H x 17" W x 11" D (approx). This is about the fastest sub that I have ever heard, and was designed to be shoe-horned into a very small area. At my local "High End" audio / home theater store, they have this sub in their "million dollar room" (all McIntosh, Revel and Madrigal equipment) even though they have other subs (such as the Revel B-15) that cost 2 to 4 times as much. The only drawback to the M&K is that it is very sensitive to room placement....put it in the right place, jaw drops....put it in the wrong place, you will wonder where the money went. Any dealer worth their salt will let you audition in your own home (though beware of restocking fees if you return the item). If you have a local M&K dealer available, try the little MX700 out....