Best Phono Stage within 2000 $

Hello Guys,

I'm thinking to buy a MC cartridge (low output like AT33PTG for example) but my Grado PH1 Phono Stage doesn't have any other setup apart the fixed 47kohm so I need to buy another Phono Stage
I don't want to spend more than 2000 $USD
I read good things about Acoustech PH1P (1500 $USD retail) and about PS Audio GCPH l-1 (Underwood mod.) , Art Audio Vinyl1 , Sutherland PHD (2000 $ on used market) .. etc...
Other ideas about tube or SS good Phono Stages?
Preowned are welcomed .. less money for best value/quality

What's the best choice for you?

Thanks in advance for your Suggestions/Opinions

Curio
ps: Merry Christas to EveryOne
128x128curio

Showing 11 responses by curio

Thanks Guys

Today someone offered me to trade my phono board with a Whest PS30R and the money difference stays inside my budget
Does someone here know this Whest?
I don't know this brand
Peterayer and Restock , I have a Pass Labs X1 preamp that's two unit boxes (power supply and preamp) and I can't figure two other units for the Phono Xono
I don't have enough space on my shelf
Theorically I could feed the Xono preamp by my X1 power supply that has two power output but I don't know if this is possible
If possible .. I can add only one unit and this is interesting
Anyone here knows something about this feature?
Thanks Peter for your help and thanks to Srwooten & Jtimothya for your exquisite suggestions.
At this point it's clear I should choose the XOno for a optimal solid state solution and three or four interesting choices for tube units.
I 'll think about and I 'll search in the pre-owned market
If someone else has some other interesting tips about please don't be shy

Merry Christmas to EveryOne
Hello Guys,

After many "thoughts" I got the last decision and I reserved for the new Whest Audio PS30RDT and improved new version of the well known PS30R
It is already acclaimed as one of the best solid state phono stage available , I 'll tell you more when I 'll listen it into my system.
Thanks to EveryOne for the helpful suggestions/opinions

Gabriele
Hi Robm,

Mine is turned on since two days and some hours more so I can't judge it or give you a final opinion about ..
Btw it's already sounding magical compared to my previous Grado PH1 phono stage .. wide soundstage more deep more tall and an awesome resolution .. I can't imagine what's able to do later!
I already changed the stock mains cable using my Groneberg Quattro Reference power cable
I absolutely prefer the MintLP Tractor to any Feickert around .. try one and you 'll understand my "absolutely"

Cheers Robm!

Gabriele
I looked at getting some cleaning fluid from them, do you have any experience of it? re

Nope Robm .. I haven't any record washing machine but Mr. Yip gives as gift one small bottle to try when you buy one of his Tractor
Is there a price difference between the Whest PS30.R and the PS30.RDT?

Dunno Isanchez .. I think there is because the 30RDT is kinda racing version compared to the normal 30R but I don't know how much.
Sorry about my misspelling, I meant to say Hello Gabriele

Don't apologize .. Hola Gabriel is well accepted too :-))

Hasta luego!
Uhmm .. Guys .. this Jelco 10.5S smells like a very good product , and cheapo too .. looking on the web site Hdm posted here!
Any opinion or experience by someone that already uses it?
I think Jaspert .. there are some "hidden specs" we don't know.. and maybe Essentialaudio can't show us on a public forum :-)
The Feickert looks black bronzed while the normal Jelco 10.5S is chrome finish
I guess the Feickert is sold with a better phono cables while the normal Jelco with the cheapo one
Probably these are the differences from the two arms

IMHO