Best of old model speakers under $1800 vs my Alons

I am looking for low cost speakers that were good when they were new but are now older today and in the price range of $1800 and less. I currently own Alon V MKIIs and was looking into the Viper series but my financial situation is currently limited so spending $3K and above is not an option now. I started thinking about older speaker models that I could enjoy and get by with for now. I am looking for input with 2 channel systems only. What is important to me is the sound. The sound should be musical, have frequency extension, air, focus, defined bass, soundstage, imaging, etc. I do really like the sound on my Alons but I need new tweeters so that is what has taken me down this path. While the Alons gave me a big soundstage, open sound, imaging, good bass, the tweeters were always a compromise as far as air and recessed sounding. The upgrade to Alnico tweeters is $1800 a pair! The bass on the Alons is powerful but slightly wooly sounding overall and at the slower side of bass response. My speakers went through a modification with Miller Sound which was a big step in the right direction. I am still considering another pair of Alons especially for the used prices but I am open to comments and suggestions. I do not like speakers that are not open or where you can hear the box. I'd like to stay at $1800 or less. Please also include information on getting replacement drivers or how substitute replacement drivers worked out. I can do any cross-over upgrades or driver surround repairs myself if you have those kinds of suggestions or Miller Sound can repair drivers as another option. My current system is Sony 707 APL HiFi modified transport into John Wright modified Museatex Bidat, Counterpoint SA-220 hybrid modified by Mike Elliott and myself or Museatex CAS-10 or Lafayette KT-550 power amps, and custom made Direct heated triode transformer coupled, transformer volume control 26 tube preamp (will be for sale commercially next month).

Some of the speakers I thought about considering are:

B&W 801s
Aerial 10Ts
Kef 107 - 107/2
Kef 105s
Kef 104/2
Alons
Vandersteen (while open I find them to be soft sounding in direct comparison to the Alons).
Meadowlark Heron, Heron i, Blue Heron, etc.

Thanks for your input and happy listening!
bigkidz

Showing 1 response by dayglow

Of the speakers you listed the Aerial 10T's are my top choice. When set up right the Aerial's are world class speakers even when compared with current standards. I'm not a B&W 801 expert but I do realize there are many models in that series. Some models could equal or exceed the Aerials in some respects. The final decision can be answered with which speaker mates the best with your current equipment, and which is the most cost effective to repair.