Best multi-purpose subwoofer

Best multi-purpose subwoofer - meaning it fulfills my pursuit for audiophile 2 channel listening and my home theater needs. I have a large TV room 22x22x8 (LxDxH) with floor standing Von Schweikerts VR4 speakers. Room is used both for dedicated 2 channel listening as well as home theater. Unfortunately the design of the room is not the best as it has glass on one side (leading to the backyard) and laundry room behind (meaning its also the family room). Currently I have a 8 inch NHT SW1 old subwoofer which needs an upgrade. The maximum dimensions I can afford on a subwoofer is  15x18x20 (LxDxH). 
As mentioned I want to be able to connect a High Level Input (for 2 channel) and .LFE for HT - so the subwoofer will need to have both. Grace for dedicated listening as well as power for HT. The only time I would consider a larger subwoofer is if it has wireless capabilities so I can place it anywhere in the room. 
Any suggestions on which subwoofer may work best for me? 
128x128ghulamr
millercarbon,

Just callin' em like I see'em.  I'm just enlightening guhlamr to some pertinent truths.  It's his money, system and choice.  Besides, I'm almost certain he'll be happier with multiple 12" subs than a single 15" sub. 
     Everybody also knows I'm the chump responsible for guhlamr's happiness.  And let me tell you, millercarbon, it's a lot of gosh darn constant pressure!

I'm just hoping I don't blow a gasket,
Tim
Hey I have a question. My first post on the forum, been ghosting for a while. Why don’t people like the martin logan dynamo subs? 
@noble100. 
Believe me I have read your post in detail slowly, sometimes a couple times and it has a wealth of information in it - and all of it makes sense and follows the audiophile do’s and dont’s. I am now inclining to give the Swarm base system a serious consideration. 
Can you help shed some light on how you best play 2 channel music with the Swarm system? I understand playing HT you can connect to the processor LFE - but how to best play 2 channel? 
Currently I play my 2 channel using the Benchmark DAC as preamp powered by Simaudio W5 amp driving VR4 speakers. 
" Can you help shed some light on how you best play 2 channel music with the Swarm system? I understand playing HT you can connect to the processor LFE - but how to best play 2 channel?
Currently I play my 2 channel using the Benchmark DAC as preamp powered by Simaudio W5 amp driving VR4 speakers."   

Hi ghulamr,

The supplied  class AB amp for the Swarm has a single unbalanced rca input for LFE and separate L+R rca inputs for connecting the outputs of a preamp or your Benchmark DAC.
      I'm semi-familiar with Benchmark DACs and believe most models have both XLR and rca L+R outputs.  I'm not certain whether your model has both but I'll assume it does until you tell me otherwise.
     I know the Simaudio W5 amps usually have 2 sets of rca inputs, one istandard set and one set with inverted phase.
     If the above is accurate, you're likely already using the Benchmark's rca outputs to connect to your amp so there would be 2 options:

Option#1: Use the Benchmark's XLR outputs and connect to the Swarm amp using either a pair of cables with XLR connections on one end and rca connectors on the other or use XLR to female rca jack adapters and connect to the Swarm amp using a pair of rca cables.

Option#2: Use the Benchmark's rca outputs and use 2 rca y-adapters (male rca plug to two rca jacks) with one connected to the right channel output and one to the left channel output.  Then use pairs of rca cables to reconnect the amp and connect to the Swarm amp.

I'm glad you posted again and haven't ruled out the Swarm just yet.   I can directly relate to your search since I was searching about 4 years ago for the same thing; very good bass response in my system that integrates seamlessly with my main speakers, capable of being fast and articulate enough for music while still being powerful and dynamic enough for both music and ht content.
     I know the Swarm may be a bit more expensive than you were expecting to pay for really good bass response in your system/room because, again, I initially felt the exact same way. When I began my search I recall thinking I'd probably wind up buying 1 of the several newer self-powered subs then on the market,  experiment with it for a few weeks and return it if it didn't work out well.  If it did work well, I could always try a 2nd one and determine if that performed even better.
     However, I then decided I needed to first become more knowledgeable about bass room acoustics and the best methods to achieve very good in-room bass response.  After a few weeks of internet research. I learned about the distributed bass array concept,  read the very positive TAS review of the commercially available complete kit example based on this concept (the AK Swarm system) and called AK.
     At this point, I was still hesitant mainly because it sounded too good to be true and I considered the $3K price a bit steep.  But, after numerous phone and email conversations with AK dealer,James Romeyn, in Utah, I gradually gained confidence and, when he offered a free  4 week in-home trial, I decided to buy the system.
    It took about half a Saturday for a buddy and I to properly install it but I still consider the Swarm the best system upgrade I've ever made.  I've used it for about 4 yrs now, and I still consistently have feelings and thoughts about how fortunate and grateful I am that I decided to give it a try.  I don't think I can overstate how well the Swarm system performs in my room/system.  I justified the price by equated it to about the same or less than the price of 2 very good conventional subs.
     Please don't hesitate asking if you have any further questions.

Tim  
Hi Tim, 

Once again thanks for the detail write up. I also have been reading a ton and making phone calls to better understand how multiple subwoofers in a room make the bass better and how at the end of the day the Swarm system really is a great value. I am still a little unclear on how I can leverage the Swarm system for both HT and 2 channel listening. Subwoofers like the REL make it real easy for simultaneously connecting both the LFE and 2 channel ( using neutrik connector). Not sure how I would leverage the Swarm system.

I am connecting my Benchmark DAC to the Simaudio via balanced XLR cables for 2 channel listening. I have a separate Marantz pre AV7005 for HT that I connect to my other 3 channel amp and when ready for movies I switch the XLR on the Simaudio to RCA connection out of the Marantz to get 5.1 (since Simaudio has both XLR and RCA). XLR for Benchmark and RCA for Martantz - but obviously never both at the same time. 

What I am hoping for is - I continue to use the Benchmark as the preamp for 2 channel listening and somehow connect to the Swarm using RCA y adapters (will have to compromise using RCA to connect Benchmark to Simaudio) as you had mentioned in option#2. 
When switching to HT - remove the RCA from Simaudio and connect the RCA R/L coming from Marantz pre and also take the Subwoofer out (SW1) from Marantz into the LFE input in Swarm and remove ther RCA line in from Swarm (as you cannot have both LFE and RCA connected to the sub at the same time). 

All this is doable but seems like a lot of work to switch between dedictaed 2 channel listening and HT. Feel like REL offers a more painless and easy solution. 

The other option is - I can stop using the Benchmark DAC as a preamp and start using the Marantz for both 2 channel and HT. Simply connect to Swarm using the LFE inputs. In this scenario I will be; 
(a) compromising on sound quite a bit in my 2 channel listening (Benchmark pre sounds amazing) and, 
(b) will be using the pre-processor cross over and not the subwoofer’s. 

As you can see there is not a clear solution to this without some compromise - but I really hope I am going about this incorrectly and there is a better/cleaner way to connect both HT and dedicated listening for Swarm system since you can only connect LFE or the RCA line in but not both at the same time. LFE uses the pre-processor cross over and RCA line in uses the subwoofers.