Best looking / worst looking amps & preamps

OK, this week we garnered opinions on the best looking and ugliest speakers. Now it's time to assess the best looking and worst looking amps and preamps. To make the discussion more focused, let's confine choices to amps and preamps manufactured since 1980. Ready....GO!
sdcampbell

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

"Sdcampbell":

My votes for the best and worst looking amps and preamps??

The "Best" Looking Gear (at least........ to me):

(01). Jeff Rowland Model 3 and 7 Mono Power Amplifiers and Coherence One Preamplifier (1984-92)(loved the gold front panels especially).

(02). Musetex (at least, I think that's how you spell their name........ small and unimposing looking amplifiers with the rosewood side panels........ also..... late 1980's).

(03). Threshold Stasis Series (mid 1980's until their last gear was produced in the mid 1990's).

(04). Counterpoint (if I was ever into tubes back then, this would've been the gear I would've purchased. To me, Counterpoint's gear (just like Audio Research) had a simple but elegant look about them).

(05). Convergent Audio Technology (I was always in awed of the CAT SL-1, later on, their monoblock tube amps wasn't all that bad either).

(06). Hovland (best looking modern tube gear if I say so myself).

(06t). Balanced Audio Technology (I rank them up their with Hovland, but compared to Hovland, BAT has more of a utilitarian look).

(08). Sim Audio.

(09). Mark Levinson (I have always loved the way their gear has looked (I loved the hell out of the "No. 26" Preamplifier back in the late 1980's...... and had the privilege to listen to it three times), and their modern gear DEFINITELY looks great now).

(10). Spectral Audio.

(10t). Sutherland Engineering.

(12). McCormack (late 1990's to present).

(13). Accuphase.

HOWEVER (!!!!) -- I am kind of in between when it comes to McIntosh's gear. They don't make bad gear at all. In fact, their gear stands the test of time. But I just wish McIntosh would produce some more stylish gear.

The "Worst" Looking Gear (to me) is:

(01). Hafler.

(02). Perreaux.

(03). Cambridge Audio (at least...... before their Azur Series........ at least, their Azur Series looks a hell of a lot nicer than their older gear).

(04). Adcom (their amplifiers could use some sprucing up, but they make of for their lack of style by producing a nice sound at an affordable price....... the GFP-750 Active/Passive Line Stage Preamplifier is a looker however).

--Charles--