Best headphones under $200 used?

Happy New Year!
I'm a newbie to the world of headphones, but looking for a pair to run straight into my EE minimax cdp without any additional headphone amp. I think closed cans is probably what I'm leaning toward (have wife and kids). My regular setup is merlin tsms and tube amplification which I enjoy very much if that helps at all for "cans" recommendations with similar qualities. Thanks for any tips!
lincnabby

Showing 1 response by photon46

As another headphone newbie who just got his first set of cans, I found head-fi.org to be an essential site for getting information. If you're set on closed 'phones for their isolation abilities, choices are more limited because top choices seem to be semi-open or open back designs. I'd investigate reviews of the Denon ah-d2000 & Shure srh940. The Shures may not have the audiophile certified panache of brands like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, & Denon, but I think they have a very good sounding product line at their respective price points. Bottom line is we all have different shaped ears and preferences in sound, so it takes some research and trial and error to find what headphones sound good to us.