Best Cd Player under $4000?

My system is the following:Cambridge Azur 840C cd player, Pathos Classic One MKIII,Focal Chorus 826V speakers,Running Spring Audio(Haley) line conditioner,Cardas Golden Reference AC cords and Kubala Sosna Emotion balanced inter. and speaker cables.My system sounds a little bit on the lean side and could have a better soundstage.
I mostly listen to instrumental jazz and acoustic music (piano,guitar),trios/quartets.I'm in the process of upgrading my cd player.

Esoteric SA-10,Bryston BCD-1,AMR CD777,any other ?
128x128erasto

Showing 1 response by hens

I fourth upgrading the speakers rather than the source although I agree that the Cambridge can be a tad bright in a lean system. I've never been a fan of the Chorus line which were just not well enough balanced for my liking - a bit too much treble energy IMHO.

If you are absolutely fixed on upgrading the source, then I think you could look for something with a different sound signature to the Cambridge. You definitely don't need to throw 4k at it - have a listen to some of the tube output players around. Musical Fidelity A5 is a very smooth listen as is the Cayin CDT-17A. For non-tube players, the Marantz line (SA11 or SA15 models) are also more lush in presentation style than the Cambridge.