Best cartridge/stylus under $80?

Hi all,

I finally got my TT (Denon DP-31L) installed and put a new AT95 cartridge in it, which has performed pretty good thus far but the more I listen the more I start to wonder: would this music sound better if I had bumped up my budge to $80 instead of the $38 I spent in the AT95.

I know that $80 is still a laughable budget to some for something as important as the cartridge, but I'm still in school (story of my life) and would prefer to not rack up more student loan debt with audio equipment purchases. So whatever cartridge I get now, I want to be a step (or multiple steps) above the AT95, and in 2 years I'll upgrade to something better.

Not sure if my music preferences would be a factor in the cartridge recommendation, but here is is just in case:
classical (piano, cello, violen), classic rock (CCR, Clapton, pink Floyd, Beatles, Dave Mathews early stuff etc.) and anything with good vocals (rich raspy type voices like Adele). One thing I know they all have in common is a richness with the sound, if that makes sense? I hate nothing more music that hearing a song that should have a deep full sounding cello that has no feel/hollow.

Equipment:
Denon DP-31L --->rigged Sony receiver to use Phono inputs and output via "tape out" direct analog---> Cary Audio AES AE-3 tube pre---> McIntosh 2125 amp---> Klipsch RP-5 towers

prospective cartridges: AT100E, Shure M97xE, Ortofon 2M Red (that might be stretching the budget too much though)

thanks in advance!
hockey4496

Showing 3 responses by hockey4496

Thanks Yogi, you think that's a better option than any of those 3 options Isited above? Should there be a noticable improvement in all these candidates vs the AT95 you think?
Thought I'd update this thread to mention I ended up getting a Shure m97xe. Very happy with the purchase, considering the price! The bass response is light years better than the AT95, I couldn't even believe it. I had to turn down the integrated subs in my Klipsch RP-5's down from about 35% to 20-25% after switching the cartridges. Very detailed, and zero noise.

thanks for all the valuable advice