Best Budget system? $500-$750 tops

Partially out of curiousity and partially because I am pondering this myself for a second set-up, can a moderately musical system be set-up for $500-$750???

Components:
CD
Integrated
Speakers

(cabling, stands etc. would be above and beyond)

Here's my submission:

I first heard a pair of Kirksaeter Silverline 60's at a local dealer and was impressed for their size and price, they were also modestly paired with a Pioneer Elite A35r integrated amp and multi-disc CDP (forget model). There retail price is $850, however I've seen them go on here for more like $300. So...

CDP - Pioneer Elite DV-45a $240
Integrated - Pioneer Elite A-35r $165
Speaker - Kirkseater Silverline 60 $300

Total - $705

How musical that system is is questionable, but for the price I beleive it would be musically tolerable. In my case the system would be background and entertaining only, so I think it would perform pretty well in those functions.

So, what's your BUDGET system look like?
jh2os

Showing 1 response by srbarnett

I also bought a pair of the AS-B1's. Even at the price, I have to say I am disappointed in the sound.

My first quick impression was decent highs and lows, but was it missing something in the midrange? I had been using them for a week as low background in another room.

When I finally got around to comparing them side by side to my B&W DM302 ($250 retail), I quickly realized that the B&Ws sounded very balanced, and are in fact, an extremely good sounding economy speaker. The Athenas, in direct A-B comparison, sounded kind of nasal, honky and hollow.

Just my 2 cents. I wanted to like them, I had read the modest hype and they seemed to be finished nicely for the price and had nice big metal binding posts....but

(On the other hand, if you find they work well with your electronics, my pair is available. There are 3 pair currently on Agon, I'll make you an even better deal!)