Best Budget Rig sub $600

Hey out there.

I'm a college student currently running a pair of Sennheiser 600s through a Rega Ear amp. This minimalist setup has served me well throughout my college years. In a few months I'll be moving into my own apartment and I'm ready to invest in my first substantial home audio system.

Here's the deal:

I don't care about surround-sound. I just want 2 channels. All I want is an amp and a set of left/right speakers.

Anyone have any recommendations? It's going to be a relatively small apartment and I am not going to need a ton of volume. (I don't want to disturb my new neighbors)

After cables and such, I don't want to spend more than $600 bucks.

After browsing C-net's electronics reviews for a few hours I've come up with the following setup. Let me know if you think I can do better! Here's the best deals I've found:

Amp: Harmon Kardon HK3480 ($260)
Speakers: JBL E90 ($209)
jonnyrocketti

Showing 1 response by kotta

A Jolida JD 1701 hybrid int. amp is the most musical amp you can buy new for $500 (retail) or around 300-$350 used. I highly recommend this int. amp. Do not be put off by the 50w per ch. rating. Sounds more like 100w. A great int. amp! (www.audioreview.com has a few comments on this amp.) I've owned the Jolida all tube 20w model and the hybrid JD 1301 and this JD 1701 sounds by far the best.) Owned quite a few other int. amps as well and this is the one I would recommend above all the others. Spks, the Tannoy MX1-M/Fusion 1 would be an excellent, modern affordable spk. Better still would be some vintage ADS spks. Bill