Best $40 I've spent...maybe ever

I'll admit it...I've never cleaned any of my physical connections - AC, IEC, XLR, RCA, DIN, grounds, speaker, etc. Never. Ever.

I *thought* my cartridge was going bad, as the right channel was intermittently noisy / dropping out. After reseating the cartridge clip, all was right again. I cleaned the cartridge pins with a pencil eraser and began wondering if this should be done to all my physical connections.

Cut to me also contemplating other "upgrades" because I felt as if some of the magic was missing. New cartridge? New tonearm? New integrated? New DAC / music server? All of the above? 

Rather than dropping somewhere between $2k and $20k into my system, I thought it would be prudent to first  invest some time into basic maintenance (and systematically addressing the issue uncovered with my cartridge - across all components). I dropped a whopping $40 into a DeoxIT / DeoxIT GOLD Kit and spend the next 5 hours treating every cable and socket on every single piece of equipment.

Sweet mother of pearl...[Insert the usual audiophile hyperbole]

But here are the 3 things I found most surprising: 1) My turntable is measurably more speed stable, 2) the LED dB meters on my Nakamichi Dragon appear to be more responsive, and 3) I can't explain it, but my LP playback is MUCH more quiet (not only a "blacker background", but pops-n-clicks). I was honestly considering a less-sophisticated stylus profile because I thought all the "transparency" of an Optimized Contour Line Contact stylus was revealing stuff I didn't want revealed. 

Which makes me wonder...How much of the performance gains of new equipment is just reseating connections? 

Regardless, clean your connections. I'm sure this thread will be flooded with "You should only use Unicorn Tears" or  "Wood glue makes the best connection" but I'd suggest progress over perfection, and if you haven't cleaned / treated your connections, it's worth the investment in time.
128x128nrenter
...every 6 months, rain or shine...clean em up!  Old fart tip of the day...if possible, turn off and unplug things, go into basement and switch off the main power at the panel, turn off & on each circuit a couple of times, then power up the main.  Plug up and enjoy!...a freebee.  Cheers, Norm 
Well...I got the itch to spend money again. This time, it was almost for 5 audiophile fuses for my integrated amp, 1 for my CD player, and 1 for my phono pre-amp.

Just before I clicked “buy” I decided to pull out my DeoxIT / DeoxIT GOLD Kit, unseat each stock fuse, treat, and re-seat. Since I had to “pop the top” of my integrated to get at the 4 rail fuses, I gave all the connections on the back of my integrated a quick once-over.

Wowsa. I got a fair amount of gunk off the female XLR connections. Even if the changes I hear are all psychological, it was well worth the hour spent. May have to give EVERY connection a treatment next weekend. 

I’m sure $700 of fuses would make a difference, but I guess it will be a bit longer until I find out. DeoxIT to the rescue!
Crazy, I did the exact same thing a couple days ago using the red and yellow DeoxiT bottles.  Took 4 hours.  Cleaned my xlr, rca, power cords, hdmi cables, ethernet cables, preamp and power tube pins, linear power supply cables, IECs for power conditioner and components and finally speaker binding posts.

Definitely made a different, things are a lot more detailed and free-flowing.  Lost a bit of the soundstage though, but still waiting for things to settle back in.  My tv is also shockingly more clear and bright.
Shirley one of the most overlooked things in all of audio is the wall outlets of floor lamps and appliances like the fridge and room purifiers in other rooms of the house. It’s our old friend micro-arcing coming back to bite you on the behind.