Beogram 3000 linear tracking worth resurecting?

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination. I have a cheap circa 1991 Kenwood turntable and amp that I use to listen to my LP's.

I just found a Beogram 3000 with the linear tracking arm (circa 1986?) from Bang & Olufson being thrown out on the sidewalks of the upper east side of Manhattan. It looks spotless. I''ve yet to try and turn it on, let alone try and play anything on it. I won't be able to even fool around with it for awhile. But in the meantime...

I was wondering what anyone could tell me about the quality or value of this thing. Is it worth trying to get up and running?

I read the thread on linear tracking, and it makes it seem as if the cheaper linear tracking tables are problematic. What might I expect from this table if it's in working order? What kinds of things go wrong with it? Is it serviceable by me, etc.

Steve Zerby
mmoogie

Showing 2 responses by kurt_tank

I used to use that turntable for many years (from the mid 80's to the mid 90's, when I gave up on vinyl, and went to CD full time). I have since gotten back into vinyl, in a big way, but that is another story.

Good points: The table was mid-fi at its best. It was very convenient, as it was fully automatic, and the controls were mounted both on the inside and on the outside of the dust cover, allowing you to play it with the cover open or closed. (Pretty cool). It used very light weight cartridges, so that they did not harm the vinyl when I finally did upgrade to something decent.
(Surprisingly all of my old LPs still sound great.)
The sound was fairly detailed and neutral. It even had a light that would shine on the record, with the cover open or closed, allowing your to pick out individual tracks.

Bad Points: The table was mid-fi at its best. It did not have that good of imaging or soundstaging. The cartridge was fairly detailed, but not incredibly so. Now the cartridges are rare and getting rarer. They used to have 5 versions available MMC 1 through 5. Now they only have MMC 2 and 4 available. I used a 3, which as plus or minus 2 db. The MMC 2 costs about $250 now, if you can find it, the MMC 4 about $125. (I recommend either Ebay or better yet the B&O stores at the mall.) The MMC 4 is a general use cartridge that only sounds fair. If you do try to use it seriously, use the MMC 2 or it will not perform at its best.

Good Luck.
You absolutely must use a B&O MMC serier of cartridge. No other one will work to the bet of my knowledge. The $125 price isthe standard price for the MMC 4 currently. (I know this because 6 months ago I sold my B&O 3000 to my brother in law and that is what he paid for his MMC 4.)