Benchmark DAC Thoughts

Hi. I have added The Benchmark DAC3 L to my list for a possible purchase.

Does anyone have experience with this particular DAC or Benchmark DACs in general?

Associated equipment is an AudioLab 6000CDT transport and PS Audio Stellar mono amps and preamp. Looking forward to your thoughts/opinions...

Thanks!

gnoworyta

@gnoworyta ,

You're welcome and best of luck with the Benchmark DAC. It may indeed be just what you are seeking. 

Charles 

Congratulations! I (obviously) think you have made a great choice. I should tell you a few other things. I know you were looking to upgrade your speakers from an earlier post. I have the Vandersteen Treos CT you were considering. I also run my signal through a new Audible Illusions 3B tube pre- amp and then to a Parasound A23+ solid state amp. All wires are Audioquest. I also listen to a great deal of Americana, acoustic jazz and classical. I was in the music business for over 30 years and have played guitar for over 50 years. My wife and I love Shawn Colvin. I own a Martin Custom Shop 0000-28 similar to Shawn's. I was just listening to her Live CD again the other night after a long layoff. The entire album was breathtaking! I know what that guitar sounds like in person. That is why I am telling you all this. I'm sure you don't need to know this, but I realized in this discussion, like most discussions on the internet, you have no idea about the background or experience of the people posting replies to your questions. The Benchmark is built like a tank...because it has to perform in recording studios for hours on end with no breakdowns. Also, the most important engineering is not the dac chip... it's the input (jitter control) and the output stage. This is a pro piece of gear, period. It's not etched, sterile or whatever...the recordings are that. This is not a "flavor" control...it has been designed and built to do a job for us and it does that, EVERYDAY, with no editorial opinions. Now, that may not be what people are looking for...great! There are plenty of options out there. Please feel comfortable with your decision and check out Sara Jaroz....I'm sure you already have. ("Bury Me In Bones" is pretty great too! and  "Twist Of Fate")

One additional point I will make on the DAC3. I am a huge fan and will never sell it but this comment is a bit negative.

I worked with a very established audio vendor/musician on a digital streaming project this year. He has been involved with building recording studios and has a great ear. He has the DAC3L in his work area at his shop. So, he knows the DAC well.

He is not a huge fan of the DAC3 because he says it is a bit too bright for him. Now he thinks it sounds bright not because it is that way on top but because it is lacking some low end so the top end seems more pronounced. I disagreed with him when he came over to my place and heard my DAC3B. However, today after hearing the Musetec 005 I can see where someone could say the DAC3B lacks some low end. The Musetec seems to have more on the bottom.

Saying all that, I really never get tired of hearing the DAC3B. It fits my tastes rather well. I think I will move it from my Musetec 005 system and pair it with my warmish KRELL integrated because the DAC3B is a bit better than the internal DAC in the KRELL.

Depending on the listener involved and the system in question you can uncover flaws in any audio component.  You cannot escape from the subjectivity of audio and listening to reproduced music. I wrote earlier in this thread that some find the Benchmark ideally neutral and uncolored  and some find them analytical/clinical.  Neither is wrong as it is just a reflection of perspective. You can do this with any brand of audio products.  It is not  exclusive to Benchmark. When all is said and done,  buy what sounds best to you.

Charles