Bel Canto Dac 3.7 in 2018?

Hi all,

I’ve come across a store demo 3.7 including the VBL for approximately 3000. Mint. Boxed, ready for sell. I know some might consider it dated due to lack of mqa, dsd, pcm, which is not available on this unit. Or perhaps the converter is dated?

Im quite content with 24/192. I’m waiting for the dust to settle on what will become the industry standard.  Mqa still seems questionable. Though promising. 

I currenty own a Bel Canto Reflink which would utilize the fiber connection for optimal SQ.  Add the VBL. It looks like a win for my needs and price. 

At the same time. There are always options, and different viewpoints. Which I would take into account. 

New or used. Would the community agree the 3.7 still holds up for 2018.  Are there similar units for the same price range that will surpass the 3.7 with the VBL. 

I lean towards seperates that has a external power source. Though I am open to a all in one unit. 

I believe Mytek can be hooked up to a separate power supply as well. Though I feel the Mytek  Brooklyn + has way too many features which could potentially impair the SQ. I’m very much into a simple UI. Clean lines. Less is more. Etc..

Thank you for your input. 

J

jred

Showing 7 responses by jred

@cnb3

Hello,

Apologies for the late response. My system has changed a lot since this post.

Congrats with the 3.7. 
Feel free to message me. I’d be rambling way too long on this thread to explain all that you are questioning / potentially need. 

@1graber2 

May I ask where you purchased your new 3.7, and price. If personal information. I take no offense. How will you be setting it up in conjunction with your system? 

I’m still waiting for my tax return, so it might take another two weeks before purchase.  I’d love to know your initial impressions of the 3.7, and why you chose a model that is no longer in production. 

What amp will you be using in conjunction with the 3.7

So I guess we are in the same boat. As mentioned. I honestly do not feel I need all the bells and whistles until the dust has settled. 

Additionally there are a multitude of computer programs that one can use, as I’m sure you are aware of.  I honestly believe utilizing these programs consume more time then just listening to the music. 

Then there are firmware updates. Which could potentially have bugs. Troubleshooting begins.
More time spent once again setting/adjusting a program to listening to music. 

Hey. If one prefers programs and such. I won’t knock your preference. If it makes you happy. That’s what is all about! 

J

@1graber2 
Congrats with your setup. It seems like a solid system to me. 

Similar taste.

My budget allows for one upgrade. A amp or the 3.7. I was debating on passing on the 3.7 and going for the p.luna HP dialogue amp. Now I’m questioning once again. I figured with my current b.canto dac, reflink - the hp luna amp would provide quite the sweet spot, and round things off a bit. 

Now I’m back on the fence with the 3.7.  I came across a Cary Audio stand alone dac hybrid w a tube stage.  I can’t recall the model. It’s selling for 1,800.00 w a 30 day trial. It normally goes for 4000.  Though it lacks a analogue input, and no external power source like the vbl. The external PS, and analog input is a nice bonus compared to the Cary. Though since we both use b.c. I get what you are stating regarding the 3.7.  

I do question if a full class D system might sound a bit sterile. Too clean. Too detailed. Though some people enjoy that sound signature. Though with class D amps. I find the bass to be ridiculously tight and authoritative. Have you considered Bryston?  Perhaps that will present a warmer sound. I heard they are very solid. Im looking for a amp that is musical, and airy with responsive bass. Perhaps the luna will come close to class D for my system regarding lower frequencies. Perhaps not. 

For my purposes the 3.7 paired to the hp luna amp would complement each other. My only concern with the P.Luna - come summertime. Will I have to keep my noisy AC on to keep the Luna from keeling over?  I do not have central air. I have in wall. 

I have heard P.Luna’s run pretty hot. Most likely shortening the tubes lifespan during the warmer months. Regardless if relays turn the unit off it becomes too hot.  

My listening area is 12x13. I listen to everything but classical. The monitors I have are power hungry Though with enough power. They are dead on. It sounds like your Dyns require mono blocks for sure. 

As a side note, I just upgraded all my PCs to TWL Digital American Series. Pretty impressive. 

Though one question?

Arizona can get a tad hot. A definite given. How did the Prima Luna perform with your given environment and working unison with your older BC dac?

What was your impression of combined SQ?

Thanks,

J
@soix 

hi

R2R. Thanks for the info. Additionally thank you mentioning the other dac companies. I never heard of them. Looking forward to checking them out

I have a allowance of close to 5000 for a upgrade. I can get the 3.7.  With the vbl new in box for 3,000.00. Add another TWL digital American cable. Twl usb. That’s under five, and I’m good. Sell the 1.7 and partially  recoup. 

Or or I can stick with my 1.7 bel canto w the reflink and purchase the hp prima luna amp. Sell the MA-6500. More than partially recoup.  I guess either way it will be a improvement. Though the amp would probably make a greater difference in sound. 

Though I do like the 3.7. So it’s a tough call. 

So at the present 
McIntosh MA - 6500
ACI Sapphire XL Monitors 
BC 1.7 dac
BC reflink
macbook pro as the server. 
audioquest carbon AES, and USB
Silversonic dh labs q10 speaker cable
Silversonic Air Matrix interconnects 
TWL HP American digital PCs
Blue circle power conditioner. 

Looking to rebuild slowly but surely. I’d be content with a new dac or new amp. 

The speakers are running great. The Mcintosh works. Though I can flip it and make a profit on it. 

So so it’s either upgrade the dac or the amp. It’s a system that performs well. Though obviously if I step up a bit. I’m hardly at the land of diminishing returns. 

The 3.7 I think will be a long standing classic. Assuming you have no desire for mqa and psm. Which I do not. 

The hp luna will be around for a bit. The 3.7 is out of production. Though for 3000 n.i.b. It’s tempting. I don’t think I’ll see nib for a 3.7 again. 

I can live w my current system. It does perform well. Though The upgrade itch calls. I’m curious to see what the additional performance will bring. 

- looking for more detailed, rounded off sound. Definitely tighter bass. The Micintosh is just a sloppy excuse. Though some would kill for it. So I will not knock it too much. It’s served me well.  The 1.7 with the ref overall is good. Though jitter pops up every now and then. After all the 1.7 is entry. So I get it. That’s why I picked up the ref to improve the sound. 

Hope this info helps. I work nights sporadically so excuse my grammar, etc

regards

j

@soix 

Thanks so much with all of the information you have provided. The Dac you mentioned seems like a great deal, and the fidelity probably surpasses the 3.7 in every aspect. 

Ironically after I placed my order for the 3.7 I checked my email, and noticed your post. Which was most appreciated, considering the fact  no one here gets paid for being a audio consultant. Ha! 

The fact that bel canto is made in the states and applies a very minimal audio approach appeals greatly to me. External design is not high on my list. That plastic wheel though. Come on now.  Ohms law. Minimal meaning they do not go over board throwing all into one box. i do understand the appeal of why some consumers would prefer a all in one unit. 

I like the the fact I can choose my own external phono pre amp, etc or simply use it as a analog input pertaining to the 3.7

I value the philosophy of upgrades for a unit as technology improves. Though at the same time I try to keep my components as simple as possible. Schiit is the perfect example. 

Additionally a unit that is priced originally at 18,000.00 would probably not match well with my monitors, and current amp.  I’m guessing a amp around 5000 tops will work well with the 3.7. Perhaps I’m wrong with that assumption. Prima luna looks pretty sweet though it’s not manufactured in the states, which I’m honestly still battling with. Rogue Medusa looks promising as well. 

6 moons wrote up my Saaphire Xl’s providing a respectable honest review. That was not my determining factor of purchase. It was the philosophy of ACI that sealed the deal. Mike Dzurko is a awesome guy. It’s too bad his company no longer exist. 

His business philosophy, and persona were amazingly similar to Pete at Triode Wired Labs. To whom I cannot praise enough. 

It appears  I’m currently working on a modest system which I really appreciate, and value. I enjoy the slow process of upgrades. Though I did take a giant leap with TWL. 

When I’m ready to take that extra step. I might very well look into some companies you have mentioned in this post. 

I would like your honest opinion for one particular item.

Which power conditioners suit your preference. Blue circle is a blast for the price, though I’m eventually going to have to upgrade to 4 receptacles. I like what Chang lightspeed has to offer as well. 

I’ve had the 3.7 for about a year now. I obtained it for 3,000. New in box. From what I gather it has performed well.

I don’t see myself selling the 3.7 anytime soon. Though I do see a tube pre amp, and a class D amp in the near future.

Interesting about the revised 2.7 - Dual Femto clocks. Nice upgrade. Though considering what I paid for the 3.7 new. Cost of a new 2.7. It pretty much averages out imo.

J
Apologies for the delay. 

I had the 1.7 - came across an offer for a nos 3.7 for a great price. If I missed the 3.7 deal. I would have purchased a Dialogue Premium pre amp, en route with the 1.7 ... Bridge the Ma6500 as main source of amplification. 

Since last post I obtained a pair of special 40s with Twl speaker cables, and a Twl discrete audio usb cable. Prior was a Audio Quest Carbon. 

I sold the 1.7 and some other gear. Though definitely held on to the Aci’s

The Ref500s should be showing up this week with a 30 day trial period. The plan is to utilize the ref link to the 3.7 via St fiber. Jumped to the MA- 6500 making that the pre amp, bridging the ref 500s. I agree that a tube line stage would be the best bet. Though finances only go so far. 

I already had my eye on the Don Sachs SP14, and the LTA microzotl preamp. Good call!! 

Both Preamps look like great contenders. Though it seems like you get the best bang for the buck with The SP14 specd with all upgrades. The works. 

LTA is beyond a safe bet. Just as good or perhaps better than Sachs. I’m assuming the LTA will have different sonic characteristics. 

Imo I believe with this selection of gear. I’ll be more then content. 

Thanks all for chiming in. Very much appreciated. 

Sincerely,

J