battery-based SS amps

right or wrong (i do not know which as yet), i'm increasingly of the mind that part of the typical flaws assoc w/ SS amps (midrange glare, aggressive treble, discontinuousness) relative to tube gear is a function of their power supplies coupling noise from the incoming AC to the output devices. torroids remove a lot of noise, but they also couple it, and amplifiers amplify everything.

(i'm not sure if tube based power supplies act like torroids do in this regard, or if the tube gain stages have a natural roll-off for AC-related spuriae)

point being, i'm wondering if SS amps w/ battery based power at various stages (input, driver, output) can overcome typical SS weakness and give tube-like sound without the tube.

insofar as products i know of, rowland 8/9 TI, ASR emitter, but thats about it. anyone know of add'l products? and can anyone speak to experience on this matter?
128x128rhyno

Showing 1 response by danielk141

I have a Rowland Model 2 amp. I also own the BPS-2, battery power supply for this amp.
My experience is identical to Cruz123.
This amp is so quiet in any system configuration I've used,
my BPS is sitting stored on a shelf & the batteries are long dead & sitting on my patio, under my workbench. The BPS for this amp is just not needed, in my house. I have a new transformer on my power pole, courtesy of my electric utility. My entire front end is on a balanced Platinum Power line conditioner.
One of my batteries did crack open & leak, the last time I had this BPS in service. It was a pain to clean up the electrolyte. I haven't used the BPS, since.
I remember when a Sterophile reviewer said the BPS was definitely worth the extra money. Not in my system...