BAT VK-500 w/BAT pack vs. McCormack DNA-2 Rev. A

Hi,
I'm looking for anyone with experiences with one or both of these amps. I'll admit that I'm biased towards BAT gear, I own a BAT tubed preamp/phono preamp/cd player and I enjoy the family signature. I did own a McCormack Prism II cd player many years ago, and did enjoy the sound. My friend has a McCormack phono preamp that sounded good too. I have heard the DNA 1 and was pretty impressed. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to either of these amps. I'm looking at these two high power monsters and I'm looking for any feedback. Am I best to stick with the family sound, or is the McCormack that much better?

Regards,
John
128x128jmcgrogan2

Showing 1 response by stehno

I've owned both. The VK-500 was sold long ago and I still have the DNA-2 Rev A.

The VK-500 had some decent authority in the bass regions but that was about all it offered.

I replaced the VK-500 with a Sim Audio Moon W-5 which was much more musical, even a bit sweet in the mids and highs, but the W-5 had what turned out to be some congestion in the bass regions.

I then purchased a McCormack DNA-2 LAE (Limited Anniversary Edition). The best way for me to describe the LAE is that it seemed to provide a combination of the best that the VK-500 and the W-5 had to offer and then even just a bit more. It was faster and cleaner on transients than the W-5 and had even more authority in the bass regions than the BAT. The only thing lacking was that little bit of sweetness that the W-5 seemed to have.

(For a more in-depth description on the above three amps, try to find Peter Moncrief's IAR 1998 review on these three and about 20 other amps ranging in price from $1000 to $33k. He ranked the DNA-2 LAE as the only member in class 1A, the W-5 in class 1C, and the VK-500 in class 2B. His descriptions were quite similar to what I experienced with each of these amps above. BTW, I did not get my hands on Moncrief's reviews until some time after I took possession of the LAE)

Last year at this time, I purchased a used McCormack DNA-2 Revision A. As fine as an off-the-shelf amp the DNA-2 LAE was, in some ways the LAE doesn't even begin to approach the power and warmth of the Revision A. Even though they are both rated at 300 wpc. The speed of the two DNA's is nearly equal with the Rev A just a tad faster.

Both the LAE and Rev A amps are extremely articulate and both are 300wpc. Yet the Rev A is almost tube-like in it's presentation, and sounds more like a 1000wpc amp than a 300wpc amp when using XLR connections. Unlike any of my previous amps including the LAE, the difference between single-ended and XLR with the DNA-2 Rev A is almost a night and day comparison.

The bass of the Rev A is simply phenomenal and unlike anything I've ever heard before or since. The midrange is warm, blooming, and full. Almost tube-like. And the highs are extended, extremely fast, and articulate. Soundstaging literally fills the entire front half of the listening room. Again, this is using XLR connections throughout.

Sorry to rant, but in summary, I see no real similarities between the DNA-2 Rev A and VK-500 amps. One is simply a great amp and one is not. But that's me.

-IMO