Balanced vs. Single Ended Interconnects

From your experience, would you expect a higher quality single ended interconnect or an entry level balanced interconnect to sound better when connecting two balanced components?

More specifically, I will be connecting a Denafrips Ares ii to a Pathos Classic One Mkiii and I currently have Audioquest Sydney RCA interconnects.  Is it worth getting some cheap Monoprice XLR cables or should I just wait until I can justify purchasing something from Audioquest (probably Red River or Belden BAV) in the future.   

- robot

mceljo

My experience has been that I've noticed only a modicum of difference between XLR and RCA, though the bulk of my system is unbalanced, thus RCAs have always been the most prevalent. The most significant differences between interconnects that I've heard is in the quality level and architectural differences in the cables between brands, type of copper or copper vs. silver, gauge, connectors, and dielectrics. I'd place the connection type as a lower priority and give higher priority to the quality of cable that is a good match in your system.

I was able to borrow a pair of monoprice premium XLR cables from a friend and hooked them up yesterday.  My initial response was positive, but after a little longer listening I felt like some of the smoothness was missing.  I currently have the Audioquest Sydney RCA cables back in the system for another round of comparision.

@chrken - While it is possible that at the lengths of cables that are generally used in home audio the difference between balanced and unbalanced could be negligible, a quality balanced cable connecting two balanced components should always be superior (all other things being equal).

I tried XLR mogami vs Purist Proteus RCA (5m) from an unbalanced crossover or preamp to a fully differential amp. The Purist sounded like Purist and the XLRs sounded more distorted, which was the least surprising outcome. 

@ohlala - If you're connecting to an unbalanced component then balanced cable provides no benefit.  If it's a cable designed for an unbalanced connection that just has an XLR connector then I'd anticipate that it would perform nearly identically to a standard unbalanced cable.  If it's a cable designed for a balanced connection with an RCA connector, then I'd anticipate that it might perform poorly since it's being used in the wrong application.

I have had Pathos Inpol 2 (bigger brother of your amp) and also had Pathos Classic 3 on loan from a friend, for a comparation.

It is a lovely sounding little amp and it is sensitive to cable changes. So, no matter what anybody might tell you, my first hand expereince with your amp is that it will sound 'better' with 'better' cables, rca or xlr, meaning, the xlr will not sound better, just because its balanced cable.

I am looking forward to hear gear that is made with that AES standard that Atmasphere (have not heard his stuff) mentiones when he writes about balanced connection. 

P.S. I would look for some sh older upper class AQ cables (audiotruth), before later models that were often counterfited...