B&W 805D2 or Magico Q1?

Has anyone compared these two speakers? with all of the over-the-top reviews for the B&W's and the reputation held by Magico for their pursuit of a new paradigm of perfectionism i am left wondering if there is any real competition or should i just trust the numbers, i.e. $24,950 vs $5,000...? i am not trying to start a fight here either, but theoretically what more can "anyone" do with a woofer and a tweeter with a single crossover and a rock-solid cabinet?
just as an aside, $5K used to buy you a (new) state-of-the-art FULL-RANGE B&W speaker system that could play at LIVE SPL's. of course they couldn't compete with Wison's or Sonus Fabers for resolving fine detail, but umteem improvements later we (supposedly) have a whole new ball game out there.
french_fries

Showing 7 responses by usermanual

Peterayer - "Manual's opinion of the TAD speakers is clearly in the minority."
So is yours on the Magico. So what?

I have an opinion that I backed up with both measurements and photos. Whatever people accept reality or not, is beyond my control.
Eelii08 - " Do not want to offend anyone"

Whenever someone starts like that, you know where this is going... So here you go;

Look at the CR1 measurements in SP. These speakers, have no bass below 40Hz whatsoever. They also have quite a nasty upper treble grain, which is imposable to get rid of. Audible, and apparently measurable as well (Look at the 6K and up). So if that is what you like, then yes, the Q5 is not for you.

When they came out, about 10 years ago, there were built much better, and cost $14K. It was a pretty good speaker back then.

Hope I did not offend you (-:
Same applies to the R1 vs. the MUCH better, and cheaper Model 1. Here is a link to the original:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/TAD+Speakers/TAD-Model+1

and yes, I do believe what I read, especially when it comes to JA measurements. Since my hearing experiences with these loudspeakers, correlate to their measurements, I would have to conclude that there is some "wishful hearing" done here on your part, not mine...
Nvp-

Never said they were bad and indeed they do well at shows, especially since Andrew plays them so loud, you cannot really hear what they are all about. I just find them rather hi-fi sounding in the long run. The grain in the treble is untamable and what comes across as details in shows, turns out to be coloration that I could not bear. Also, there is no low bass whatsoever with both of these speakers. It is unfortunate that many people confuse mid bass hump with low bass.
BTW, if you look at their XO board, which they advertise, strangely, you would be dismay at the part quality they use. If there are more than couple bucks spent on these parts, I would be shocked: (http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?6368-Reviews-of-the-TAD-Compact-Reference-1). Even B&W cheaper models are more "invested" then these. That was not the case with the original concept. TAD/Pioneer has really played a number on us, poor audiofooles.

Yes, there was an older version of the monitor.
Eelii08 - Sound to me like you are offended. Next time before you jump in with statements like "Do not want to offend anyone" (or accuse someone of lying, just because he does not agree with your views), think about all those you may offend. I myself, don't really mind. But don't come crying when someone disagree with you, especially if he presents you with simple facts, like measurements and photos. I post mainly when "love and thoughtful" guys like you show up. Unfortunately, it is usually on a Magico topic. Now, lets move on, unless you wish to continue debating facts, not fictions.
Eelii08 - I thought I am the one who should get a life. You seem to have a talent to contradict yourself, at least once, in every sentence you write. You advise all to avoid me, yet you keep mentioning my name, and in the wrong connotation as well. I have not mentioned the word B&W even once in the entire thread here. Based on your replies and rants, it is clear you have not even read my posts, and if all you can shout is "you have an agenda", I would say; who doesn't? If I am not mistaken, this post is about Magico/B&W, why are we talking about TAD? I am not the one who brought them up. Regardless, all my points are still valid. As I said, I backed them up with both independent measurements and photos (Taken by TAD themselves, BTW). My opinions, and yours, do not matter without them. You can learn from what I presented, but instead you choose to stay uninformed, and personally attack me, the messenger. As I said, whatever you accept reality or not, is beyond my control. Please try to be more coherent and objective in your replies. You surly like to get my reaction here, but this is becoming a bore.
French_fries - It is just semantics. Passive-aggressive style ("Do not want to offend anyone, BUT..."), very American dare say, is just as offensive to me, as mortal combat to you. What is nice here on-line, is that you get to ignore posts/people, or not, at your own will. Having it both way, will be difficult. I have no valid information nor an opinion on the B&W/Q1 question. However, I do about the TAD vs. Magico, and since it was brought up, in a condescending manners and out of context, I felt I had something to say, gloves-on. Sorry if the style offended you, but as I said, please feel free to ignore me, none of it is worth getting upset over.