B & W 805 Nautilus with SET........

Anyone ever try this combo? I have heard it is magical. I am thinking of a 300B SET, so about 11 watts/channel. These will be in a small room, dont need to go loud.....comments please......thanks....
mythtrip

Showing 2 responses by poorguy

I'm using Cary 300SE Signature to drive a pair of B&W N805 now. I auditioned a pair of Merlin VSM-M with B-BAM driven by Wavelength 300B one year ago and don't remember any dynamic compression or loss of definition of low-frequency instruments. I think it depends on output transformers. I did find using 8-Ohm tap will lose the definition of low-frequency instruments but earn more detail of mid and high frequency. I also tried Forte 4A and found it did make N805 sound more alive and excellent dynamic. However, I still want to live with SET. I know a tweak to make N805 easier to drive- adjusting the position of the foams behind the woofer so that both of the foams do not block the back wave of the woofer that much. I just ordered a pair of Signature 805s which are supposed to be easier to drive as woofer crossovers are first-order.