B&W 804s vs. Von Schweikert VR4jr

Has anybody had the chance to listen to / compare these two speakers? My local shop really pushes B&W and no one around here carries VSR. I listened to the 804S and liked them well enough, but I'm a huge fan of the VR4 (originals) which I had the chance to hear a few times about 9 years ago. I'm assuming that the jrs of today would be similar to the VR4 from back then (probably lacking some in the low end, but similar). I'm looking to the smaller ones simply because my wife isn't interested in having speakers as large as the VR4 in our room.

Anyhow, any advice / experiences you can offer would help. I'm assuming that I would like the jrs more based on my other VSR experiences (I listened to their entire line). However, not having had the chance to compare directly with the B&Ws, I'm relying on you guys for some help.

Thanks.
cowscmhm

Showing 1 response by blindjim

Congrats on the VSA speakers. All the above is accurate info. They do take some time to run in... though I suspect you bought a preowned pair, right? If so it won't be so tedious a process.

Let me kick in what not to do in setting up the JR's. Don't mess with that rear tweeter until you have them where you want. bi wire them. Shotgun works best for me in my system. Get larger spikes than standard. other iso items for them are available. Do one of the two if not both, as the upper cabinet rubber spikes can be improved upon for sure. More power won't hurt a bit with these units. good sound however, can be had with pretty small amounts though. the shot deal is as I understand it a very good one. Even VSA AGREES WITH DOING JUST LOADING THE BASS MODULE. the MK II's come with some lead shot I think. The finish, though not spectacular, is way easy to care for and the matt finish is attractive enough. Keep them off the walls as much as you can... and with a big room like yours, I suggest a sub is in order. Enjoy.