B&W 804 Nautilus vs 804s vs Vandersteen 2C II

Hi,

I came across a 1998 model B&W 804 Nautilus in mint condition and wonder what is considered a fair price in today's market. BTW, what are the model years of it?

Any concerns for a 13-year old pair of speakers. Parts, driver, etc? How many more years of service can I expect from them?

I intend to use it as my main speakers. How does it compare to the Vandersteen 2C II Sig. or other options in similar price range? Any recommendations are appreciated.

How's it different from the 804s (which year models) and the 804D in the performance and price?

I listened to the Maggie 1.7, 804 Nautilus, and Totem Hawk and like the sound of 804 and Maggie 1.7, which has a bigger sound stage. FYI, I had experience in Hi-Fi 15 years ago and owned the Harbeth HL Compact, Celeston 600Si, Spendor 3/5A, TDL and AE. But I found they all lack performance in bass. This is why I want to get a pair of floor stand speakers.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
r0817

Showing 1 response by spiro

I would submit that the 804's are closer to the Vander 3's. I think the B&W would be a little livelier. The Vander 3's might have a slight bit more bass, but unless that was the only focus, I'd do the B&W's.