B&W 801 s 3 or????

I am currently running B&W 801series3 /Lexicon MC8 Pre pro /Krell FPB 400 cx Amp/ McCormack UDP 1 front end. I like the way things are sounding right now. But I would like more effeciency from the speakers. At 87 db the 801's seem to lack prescence when listening to "large group" recordings. ie: Symphony Orchestra or Concert Band/ Wind Ensemble. The 801's sound spectauclar when listening to well recorded "studio" recordings.

My Question: Is there another FULL range speaker which posses the same type of sound characteristics, (Great bass, neutral mids and highs and very non fatigueing on the ears,) as the 801's, but is more efficient? I would probably get a good used speaker b/c the break in thing drives me crazy. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Thanks
oldpet

Showing 1 response by audiobugged

I guess your talking about the Matrix 801 series 3's? I had a white pair for 3-4 years, which almost drove me insane! Now I spent well over 10 years as the B&W posterchild, so I always thought it was something else in the cable trail other than the speakers? Afterall 90% of all classical music is recorded with them. Abby Road, & George Lucas at the Skywalker THX ranch, so it must be me? Tweaking with different crossovers, stands, cables, scraping the entire system a few times to build around the speakers. They weren't bad speakers, yet I am totally suprized that the new LSC Sacd's where mastered with 3 series 2's! I doubt that I would even enjoy Hi-Rez on them today? All I can say is I went with Talon Khorus's and never looked back at Bowers, & Wilkins! I did run a pair of N802's prior to totally shunning the B&W family! We still get together for a yearly picnic to see what's new ;0)~

I like your comment "I like the way things are sounding right now"! The Krell must be the magic, I never tried? The funny part about this hobby is can you truely find ever-lasting happiness? I'm overly satisfied with my system today also, however tomorrow is another day! And IMHO Numismatist if starting to have a better ring to my ear than Audiophile? But then whom am I kidding this hobby is like a drug Soundlab! It was a nice Pipedream, for a moment......

Enjoy The Music!