B+W 800D vs 801D

Has anyone compared these 2 speakers? I see some info on the 800D but not the 801D.Thanks in advance for your input.
budt

Showing 1 response by doomlord_uk

If you can find it, read Martin Collom's review of the original 801s in the Sep 98 (?) edition of Hifi News magazine. He covers the design process that B&W followed to upgrade the design from the old Matrix 801 mk3s to the N801s. One of the key factors was power-handling and lack of distortion in the bass driver at high levels. I've heard the original 801s when they were launched at the hifi show in London. They were set up very well with Chord amps and Wadia cd player in a big room and I've never heard such superlative sound! I would love to hear the 800s some day.

Someone called the N80x range 'power hungry' - yes they are. But, so what? So are ATC's monitors and a bunch of other designs. What's important are what they sound like, obviously. The N801s and N800s were designed to go loud whilst still sounding clean, uncoloured and undistorted - this they do. IMO that sets them apart from a lot of other speakers.