B&W 800D vs. 800Diamond on Accuphase amp

Dear fellow audiophiles:

After quite a few sleepless nights, I have come up with the final decision on the signal path / components I am looking forward to hear in my new audio setup:

Digital Transport -> Luxman DA-06 -> Accuphase C-2420 -> Accuphase A-70 -> B&W 800 D(iamond)

However, I am still in two minds about the B&W speakers:
While I do like the sound of the new 800 Diamonds, I might as well settle for a pair of certified pre-owned 800Ds and save myself 8000€...

Has anyone had a chance to A/B the 800Diamonds vs. the 800D and / or is willing to contribute their position on this speaker decision in the light of the components mentioned above? How would the 800D compare to, say, the 802 Diamond? Would you rather go with the bigger 800D or the newer 802Diamond??

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
chris_audio

Showing 2 responses by toddmorr

I'm sure A70 is a great amp. But does it have enough juice to run the big B&Ws. Only if you have extreme discipline to never crank it up, otherwise I guarantee you those tweeters will clip and you're out 1000 bucks.
Accuphase says the A70 delivers 60 watts into 8 ohms. Assume it doubles down into 4 ohms where the B&Ws spend a good bit of time. Then assume the A70 delivers another 50% in reality, over its printed specs. Which it may well. Heck, call it 100 watts into 8 ohms and 200 into 4 ohms.
If you are pushing the B&W loud you will clip those tweeters. I should know, I've done it, with rock music, using a 300w/600w monoblocks 8/4ohm loads.
Like I said before, if you have total discipline and never crank it up, you're fine. If not, set aside $1100 for a new tweeter.