B&W 800D vs 800 Diamond

Hi all....what is the difference between the B&W 800D and 800 Diamond speakers? Would anyone have images to show the difference? I can't seem to find a difference using google search. Could some B&W aficionados shed some light? Thanks so much!
rohsal

Showing 2 responses by tli

The D2 latest series has better upper and lower octaves. The midrange is basically the same. D2 piano black finish is the best looking 800 so far.
I listened to B&W 800 series speakers for over 10 years. I brought the original N800 when they were first out and step by step changed to the latest 800 Diamond. It is clear that there were noticeable improvement in the treble and bass in each model but the midrange remains roughly the same.

The B&W weakness is in the midrange. Limited by its attachment to the Kevlar borderless midrange, there is a lack of dynamic and vivid in the midrange, not to mention the colour fade problem. I recently changed to Wilson Audio Alexia, they sound very different to the B&W, there are gives and takes in the treble and bass. I still miss the extreme top and low ends of B&W but the Alexia sounds a lot more dynamic and real.

The main and obvious difference is in the midrange. Anyone in my home can hear difference. Even my kids said this squarish speakers sound better than the old roundish ones. There is huge improvement in the midrange with the Wilson Audio. It is like you have covered the speakers with a thick blanket in the past and the blanket is now removed. Regardless of what B&W claims the superiority of its Kevlar midrange driver, their main weakness is still midrange. This has been echoed in many different forum.

Hope this helps.