B&W 650 Bookshelf Speakers for Music and 2ch HT?

Have a 12x14' room with 8' ceiling. Carpet on floor. Matt painted, textured drywall on all walls.

Local "audiophile" shop (only one in town) says these things are greatest since sliced bread for $650.00 They DO sound awesome in THEIR room. Next step up is $1,500 floor B&W speakers.

Am on budget. Not really a "phile" (too poor) but appreciate GOOD music. Don't have HT set up yet. Should I try to get by with 2ch or go for 3ch???

Anything better than these for the money?

I do play vinyl as well as CDs.

ALSO....What amp or receiver would you recommend? currently have Marantz 2230.
fredinboise

Showing 1 response by pdn

Yes I agree with Paraneer. The B&W 685s are excellent standmount loudspeakers for the money and to start building with. They incorporate design features found in their much more expensive 800 series units such as FST and tapered tube tweeters. I had their predecessors the 601- S3s a few years back and then upgraded to the floorstander 683's. Loved the 601s but am crazy about the 683s for the money. Both produce amazing detail. Can't go wrong.

Your vintage Marantz 2230 is probably under powered for these B&Ws at 30 watts/channel RMS but it's a start. Consider a new Marantz or Rotel receiver.