Ayre C 5xe Universal vs. Cary 306 SACD

Has anyone done a direct (as in same system), thorough comparison of these two players? If so, please let us know if you were able to compare their performance on both red book CD's and SACD’s and how it turned out. Some back ground about the setup, gear, music material, etc. would be helpful, too. Thanks.
kalan

Showing 2 responses by jprice

Thanks for asking Kops.

I connect the players through a balanced input, although my preamp only allows for one such connection. In order to make comparisons fair, and although it takes longer to make a switch, I will change interconnects, rather than utilize the switch on the preamp, to change from one to the other. When I'm not making comparisons, I use one unit single ended and the other balanced.

My other equipment is Spectral DMC-30SL preamp, Spectral DMA 250 amp. All MIT Oracle cabling, Avalon Eidolon speakers.

Actually, most of my listening is Vinyl (Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Graham 2.2 arm, Graham Nightingale 2 cartridge, Pass X-Ono phono stage) and I try to get digital sound that replicates that medium. Both of these machines come very close. Sometimes, I think they may be better!

I do think that both units exhibit better soundstaging with XLR connections.

I actually own both players - the Ayre C5Xe and the Cary 306 SACD. I've had both of the players for over a month now. They are both unbelievably good!

Thus far the major difference appears to be that the Cary is more dynamic and possesses more "slam", while the Ayre is slightly more laid back and has (slightly) more inner detail. I actually prefer the Ayre for acoustic music, male and female vocalists, and chamber music, while the Cary really shines on massed instrumental, symphonies, sound tracks and music of that ilk.

Oh, how I wish I could keep both - but - ultimately I must make a decision between the two. I really love both of these incredible players - on SACD and on Redbook - both are wonderful - they just sound different.

Which is right? Which is the "best"? At this point, I'm really not sure. I have both units connected to my preamp and every time I switch between the two, I am convinced that "this one sounds better".

Since "decision time" is rapidly approaching, I guess I'll have more to report later. . . . . So . . . . . Later . . . . . .