Axpona 2016

Went to Axpona today and of all the rooms the VAC room using Von Schweikert speakers had a special sound.
128x128jab

Showing 11 responses by charles1dad

Goldeneraguy, 
I imagine that your system is terrific sounding and your listening enjoyment is every bit  as fulfilling as mine. We both are  fortunate. 
Charles, 
Hi Goldeneraguy,
No, I can't say that. I certainly could be very happy with these systems and others I've heard.  I'm in no way suggesting my current system couldn't be bettered by other components.  It's just that I'm thoroughly content with what I have.  There's a lot of excellent sounding components available out there for us. That Italian system displayed a lot of soul and just pulled me in as my system does without fail. You can nit pick in an audiophile sense,  but I'm strictly talking about musical emotion and involvement. Some systems just bypass sound analysis and go straight to the music. That's what I like. 
Charles, 

Goldeneraguy,
I don't know what type of sound /presentation you may prefer. For example  the  Pass Labs/ Focal or the MBL,  Magico and Bricasti  rooms will likely be  "far" more popular than the rooms I  cited. And I certainly  understand that,  but those rooms just didn't communicate musically /emotionally for me. It's so much about personal preferences and what stirs you.
Charles, 
Several rooms caught my ear at this show. 
1, All Italian components.  The Angstrom el 34 amplifier driving the Diesis Audio Aura with an Aqua digital source produced a beautiful and natural sound, very good. Instruments were real sounding and present. Probably my  favorite room. Flesh and blood with the breath of life in effect. 

2, High Water Sound room, TW Raven TT, New Audio Frontiers 845 SET stereo amplifier driving the Hornings speakers. A bit of upper bass emphasis  (room related? ) but very lively, dynamic with very good midrange, pace and musical swing/flow. 

3, Jadis el 34 integrated amplifier driving B &W speakers, this was a surprising good match.  The music just flowed.Convincing tonality and engagement emotionally. 

4, The active Goldmund Melissa speaker, another surprise. Very good musical flow and engagement,  nice sounding system all Goldmund system. 

5, The all Zanden component room was very good,  nice tone,flow and musical connection. They were using their big el 34 amplifier. 

These were examples of rooms that would really appeal to the music lovers. 
Charles, ,

Hello Trelja, 
Based on what I heard I'd have to believe that the Jadis amplifier driving the Hornings has to be quite wonderful.  Your music must really be a thrill to hear with that combo. You obviously have good taste. 
Charles, 
Trelja,
Now that is a comprehensive list! 😊 A DHT tubed amplifier was your top choice,  not surprising if it's implemented correctly. Quite a compliment that the Jadis amplifier is 2nd on your esteemed list. 
Charles, 
Hello David,
As I've said before,  the better the component, the greater the impact of the Black fuses. The systems I listed that really caught my ear would be terrific choices for these fuses. I'm definitely a SET amplifier guy but that Jadis push pull  amplifier was making music in that room , I could live happily with it. 
Charles, 
Hi Jond,
The Jadis amplifier was driving B &W speakers  (a speaker that typically is just okay sounding to me).  In this instance this pairing was making music and was natural in its presentation. A number of the rooms at Axpona had more of the usual hifi type sound. For me there's a distinction between these two types of presentations. I have no doubt that Trelja's Deja Vu 2a3 PP amplifier sounds wonderful with an appropriate speaker match such as the Horning for example. 
Charles, 
Goldeneraguy,
You have been using a very highly regarded amplifier, what type of sound are you seeking now? Fortunately there are numerous excellent choices for a high efficiency high quality speaker such as yours. 
Good luck with your searce. 
Charles, 
Hi Ed,
You certainly  have established a high standard with use of the DeHavilland for 13 years so I can see your dilemma, . I'd agree you  need a less sensitive amplifier and /or less overall gain in the system to widen the range of volume control  usage.  I'm confident that you'll find a very suitable replacement amplifier 
Charles,