Avalon Opus Ceramique versus Kharma 3.2

Hi,

As a lot of people who had chance to heared Lamm amps, I will made a system for one of those wonderfull amp.
At the moment I've the M1.1 (hybrid) and will upgrade to a tube ML1.1 or ML2.1 in few months.

I know the Kharma 3.2 - I love their medium with Lamm amp, but not my wife !! She said they look like a coffin ! Bad WAF !!

So, to keep my wife... I'mlooking for speaker not like coffin but also with ceramique drivers,to keep this wonderfull medium, in the same price level.

Avalon Opus ceramique look good, but here in France, I don't have the chance to heard them - and with a Lamm amp it will be really difficult.

If you have the chance to hear this combo, please, give me advice !

thanks

David
davidri

Showing 1 response by sirspeedy70680e509

I own and love my Avalon speakers(Ascent mk-2,very easy load at 6 ohms,and a sealed box design).I make it my business to try to hear the vast majority of the touted designs,to stay abreast of what is the preferred "now" products.I still see no need to make a speaker change.

That being said,and in making my own point,I have heard almost everything around,including the Nola Gran Ref/ASR combo.One of THE most enjoyable set-uos I have ever experienced just happens to be the Kharma 3.2,driven by the Lamm 2.1 amps.BIG TIME!!With NO sub,to diminish the absolute magic of that combo.I have heard it both ways,and this is all only my opinion,and taste!

My point being,even though I own an Avalon product,I can still be honest enough to myself to admit that the 3.2/Lamm combo has a certain "magic" I seldom hear in any set-up,even though I still do cartwheels over my own system's performance!I can only imagine how fabulous the Kharma Mini Exquisite must be!!As of now,that would be my own choice if I were making a speaker change.Damn the lowest octave.I've lived with it all my life,and "magic" is more important.
Yes,the easy load makes a difference,and is one reason I never moved away from my Ascents.Even with a complete Avalon about face,regarding their own line,some years ago.
I have heard the new Kharma solid state amps,and feel,IMO only,that once you hear something like a Lamm 2.1,and are honest to yourself,you can never be happy with anything else,on that speaker.

Yes Avalon makes a fine product,yet if I were buying product today,I would look for easy load,driven by a SUPER amp like the Lamm 2.1(which I do NOT own either).

Best!!