Aurender N200

Hi

I was hoping to get feedback on the Aurender N200.   I have a Bluesound Vault 2i that honestly has been great but I am looking for a significant bump up in sound. Will be using with a LAB 12 DAC which accepts USB class 2 output and has coax also.  I really like this DAC , although I do have the opportunity to trade up within a year so that's to be seen if I do that.  I find myself mostly streaming and want a great sounding stand alone streamer that won't be outclassed if I upgrade the DAC.   Any opinions of this unit would be appreciated 

Thanks 

128x128oddiofyl

Showing 11 responses by charles1dad

@oddiofyl 

You have been on quite the successful acquisition roll.The Lab 12 DAC, the Toolshed 300b SET and now the Aurender N200. 😊

Charles

@blisshifi 

Regarding some not being able to discern streamer quality, I usually boil it down to the fact that those people’s systems are not resolving enough (like putting a $9K phono cartridge on a $1000 turntable / tonearm), they aren’t the critical listeners, or the upgrade in sonics isn’t worthwhile. But for those with a highly resolving system who are looking to make the best out of it, a high performance digital source should make a significant impact.

This explanation is thoughtful and well reasoned in my opinion. With a resolving audio system, how could one not notice improvement with a better source component?

Charles

@oddiofyl 

Yes. The Aurender sounds better, absolutely

It sounded good via USB but via coax with the Aurender as the clock it is markedly better. More weight , shimmer in the upper registers

I swear I could hear the brass of a cymbal crash’s warble … the deformation or flexing of the cymbals

I was interested in your listening impressions and comparison of the two streamers. It seems intuitive that a higher quality music streamer would be impactful in a positive manner. It represents the source of your digital signal chain.

It strikes me as odd when some report upgrading their streamers made little, or no difference. Does not seem logical at all, But I understand people are simply reporting what they hear in their respective audio systems.

Charles

@oddiofyl 

Very good news!!

The Aurender N200 streamer and Lab 12 Reference DAC surely sound lovely together, I'm sure. Seems the N 200 is a true step up from the Bluenode streamer.

Charles

@oddiofyl 

Congratulations  on receiving the Aurender. I hope that you get the connection issue sorted out. At this early stage, are there sound quality differences between it and the Blue Node?

Charles

Hearing is still good,  now is the time to do it !   Never been a better time actually. 

I understand completely. There are times when you have to stop and smell the roses. You recognized you are in a great situation and wise enough to appreciate it and take advantage. Enjoy every moment with your evolving and improved audio system. I’m curious to know how much of a difference you’ll hear between the Blue Node and the Aurender N200.

Charles

@oddiofyl

Oh I see. With an amplifier input voltage of 2.4v you’ll be fine with a preamplifier gain of around 15 db or less. My SET mono blocks input voltage is 0.7v, so pretty high sensitivity. However I am doing good with 10db of gain from my 101D preamplifier. You are assembling a terrific audio system.

Charles

@oddiofyl

You have high sensitivity speakers. How much gain will your 101D preamp have? I imagine the 300b amplifier is likely pretty sensitive with an input voltage of 1 volt or less. You won’t need much preamp gain.

Charles

I'm using Forte IV but eventually want a horn loaded bass cabinet like a LaScala or Vittori.    The Forte IV sound really good with the Toolshed , will be even better with the 101d preamp.  

@oddiofyl 

I understand that direction. I'm more drawn to that than the class D powered woofer alternative. Admittedly nothing more than individual preference. Either one done right can be successful. That Toolshed  DHT preamp paired with your 300b SET is going to be special in my humble opinion. Good decision.

Charles

@lalitk 

Yes, every component in the signal path is important! It’s very smart that @oddiofyl wants to improve the quality of his streamer. I’m bewildered by those who say the digital source (CD transport or streamer) matters to a lesser extent than the DAC. Both definitely matter.

I am interested in what he finds with comparing his Aurender with the Blue Node.

Charles

@oddiofyl 

Congratulations on acquiring the new Aurender N200. I am certain that it will be a wonderful sonic addition to your terrific system. Your Toolshed SET is going to be amplifying a high quality digital signal path.😊

Charles