Audiolab 6000CDT

Does anyone own this CD player? Interested in your input, I may purchase this in the near future.

rockysantoro

Showing 2 responses by charliecheese

I've used the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M and the Wyred4Sound Remedy Reclocker with my 6000 CDT for over a year, and I'm still impressed. To my old ears it sounds a little closer to 3-D sound than what I had in my budget system before the upgrade. It's especially noticeable to me whenever I play Disc 4 of the Miles Davis Seven Steps box. Mort Fega's introduction and the audience applause prior to Autumn Leaves creates a fairly credible illusion of being there in the concert hall. And once Davis and the band start to play, it gets even better. Every CD I've played so far has been improved tremendously, no matter what style of music it is. Not bad for an investment of around $1500.

Soix,

The reclocker takes the incoming audio signal from 16-bit/44.1 kHz to 24-bit/96 kHz playback, which seems to be one of the standards of streaming playback.

In my experience the CDs sound more alive now (a more natural-sounding reverb, more definition to the soundstage (instruments are placed left-to-right/front-to-back more realistically)). It was probably the best $400 I’ve spent on my modest system.

If you’ve read anything from Bob Lefsetz about his experiences with streaming and the Dragonfly dac, he raves about the sound being pretty close to the vinyl experience. Since I have a ton of CDs, I didn’t want to give up on the discs, and that’s why I chose to try the Remedy reclocker. Since I’ve tried it, I know I’ll never go back to the usual CD playback. And although I’ve never done a side-by-side comparison with streaming, I’ll bet my system sounds pretty close to at least a modest streaming system.

(Sorry for the late response - password problems.)