Audio Research VT 100 MK III vs. VS55

I just changed my VS55 to a VT 100 MK III(needed more power). Of course it was a general upgrade and at the same time it differed in a way I didnt expected. Listening to the VS55 it was very easy to the "se" and point out the instruments and vocals in space. The VT 100 dont behave in that manner. Instead the soundstage is much more open and wide and the vocals/instr are there but hard to say where. But still music presented in a fantastic way.

Is this a property of tha amp or an interaction effect? I use a ARC LS 17 and Eminent Technology LFT-8b speakers.
arenakbt

Showing 1 response by farobari

I am using an old VT100 mk II with a new LS17 and the sound was a bit “soft” or “closed” in the beginning. But it turned out, that the old tubes had a lot of hours on them and after changing both input- and output tubes in the VT100, the sound changed (after running the tubes in) and now I am very happy with the soundstaging. I find the LS17 and the VT100 mk II to interact well and I guess using the mk III should not be that different.

My loudspeakers do not provide at very broad soundstage, but it is deep and with a clear definition of instruments and voices. It is quite revealing and changes in cabling and source is quite “visible”. I use the 8 ohm tap and balanced cabling.