Audio Research SP17 or Modwright LS100?

Hello,

I just joined this forum hoping to receive guidance. I can usually understand the basics since I have been into HT/Stereo since 1998 so talking to me should be fine as I understand some of the technical stuff when it comes to equipment but am no pro.

I have always been on a journey in the audiophile world and recently got a pm from another forum stating that a preamp is a waste of money in comparison to a decent AVR because science basically dictates that in DBT, one cannot hear a difference and in reality there is such a small difference that the human ear would not be able to discern. It might be true and it might be placebo that I am hearing but I like the tube sound especially the guitar. I play a little myself and loved "Hotel California". I don't know the number of times I have listened to this but its too much to count.

I am one of those members that have an HT setup with projector but always listen to music in 2 channel. I know I have to eat my cake and eat it too. It's 70% music and 30%movies/tv.

I have PSB Imagine T2 with the AVR being Marantz SR6007, Parasound Halo A21 amp, source is NAD c546BEE and tried out to preamps. I prefer the sound a slight better with ARC but prefer the volume control on Modwright. I know both come with remotes but sometimes I prefer the tactile feel. My equipment is not the greatest compared to some here but I try to balance my equipment as well as the setup in the room. Can anyone please give input as it would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post as I wanted to describe myself and my intentions here in this forum.
solo13

Showing 1 response by charles1dad

Solo13,
You've been listening since 1988, that's 25 years and plenty of time to have figured out what you like. Your ears are by far the best determinant, plain and simple. Trust yourself and go with what connects and involves you most while listening to the music you enjoy. It only gets confusing when you stray from that principle and listen to what others say that they prefer. This is a personal endeavor and selfish but in a good context of selfishness, you must please yourself and this will lead to contentment. I'm confident that you'll make the right choice.