Audio Research Reference 150 severe distortion

My Reference 150 is emitting severe distortion in both channels. I checked the bias of the K120 tubes and one tube in both channels is reading as low as 20, rather the the standard 65 range.

Does anyone know of a possible fix that will not involve me shipping the amp back to Audio Research?

Both bad tubes are less than 3 months old.

I gotta play my Liberace Christmas music!
128x128shaq

Showing 4 responses by taters

I have a Vt-100 Mklll since 2001 and the only thing I have ever done is change tubes. I currently need my tubes changed so I asked my technician is there any thing else I should do because my unit is 14 years old. He said if it still works fine there is nothing I need to do but change tubes and have them biased.

i had a brother in law that had several Ferrari's that I used to have serviced for him. The amount of money he spent servicing those cars you could own any new ARC amp you wanted plus a pair of high line speakers and still have money left over. Trying to compare the maintenance of a ARC amp to a Ferrari is ridiculous.

Czarivey,

If Ferrari gave a lifetime of service and repair for free they would be out of business. They say the expensive thing about owning a Ferrari is keeping it running. Plus the fact they don't make many cars per year. Most of the money generated at the Ferrari dealer is from the service department. 

Obigny,

That is why I will only deal with manufacturers that have local service centers. If the equipment can't be serviced locally I don't want it. Luckily I live in Southern California which has a lot of authorized service centers. If I lived in the middle of nowhere I would not own this type of equipment. 
You are comparing apples to oranges. Subaru is a mass produced car for the average person. Ferrari is a limited production car for the super rich. A Ferrari dealer would not exist without a service department. They just don't sell enough cars to make the dealership a profit. They might cover the overhead but that's about it. There service department is where they make their money.