audio Research REF 110 and KT 120 tubes

Hi

I have a REF 110 with 6550C tube
i'm looking for someone who heard the REF 110 with new tubes KT120
(i know it's possible to change them, Kalvin from ARC confirmed it)

If yes, how the REF 110 sounds ?

Patrice
atarifr

Showing 6 responses by hifigeek1

The KT-120 actually can run at a maximum plate voltage of 700-800Vdc! This is a very very robust tube. I have fitted a set in one ARC amp in warranty. It is taller, heavier, and the glass is thicker. Also on inspection, the plate of the tube utilizes heat sink fins. This is a very different tube then a 6550 and frankly sounds wonderful. I believe this currently represents the state of the art in tube design. Remember, unlike the U.S., the Russians never stopped making and designing tubes. That being said you will always get a random bad tube. It's the nature of the beast...
Wow I guess my last post never made it on here. Cmalak, the reason I saw the KT-120's is I had to service in warranty a pair of Ref210's and they came with KT-120's. Understand that I can get KT-120's but they would not be ARC KT-120s. ARC runs all their tubes at hard labor for 24 hours to cull out the bad ones and then categorizes them based on their current gain etc. That way when I order tubes from ARC I have to give them the model of the product I'm repairing. Also, if any damage is caused by the ARC tubes within the warranty period, i.e. a screen or plate load resistor failure, it's covered under warranty. This tube represents the current state of the art in Russia tube design. You can email me [email protected] and I can keep you updated as to when they will be available. Please be patient. Both myself and ARC know that people are chomping at the bit to get these tubes in their amps. This tube is so new they don't even know which amps these tubes will fit in. I just found out today that the KT-120's will not fit in the VT-200 as there's just not enough space. I can tell you that after just working on a Ref 110 the KT-120's will fit, and the factory tells me they work great! Additionally, any ARC amp that uses a 6550 regulator, that tube is not replaced with a KT-120.
BTW I just retubed a VS60 with KT-120's. Awesome. In case someone was wondering if you can put KT-120's in a VS60. You can.
Tlg...ARC is NOT using the KT-120 in any power supply in any of their products. 6550 only...I have KT-120's
@Jedinite24 thank you for the kind words. I neglected to add: REF210 requires field or factory mod. REF610 requires factory mod. May the force be with you!