Audio Research PH6 Phono Stage - How is it?

I know most of Audio Research stuff is top end with little complaints about anything they make. I like tube gear and have more of a preference for the tube sound but looking for a phono stage with little noise. I know the PH8 reference phono stage is a true reference standard but way out of my price range. So that brings me to the PH6, which retails for around $3,500. Not too many reviews on this one and hasn't been compared to other phono stages at a similar price point. There are some good competition at this price, especially the Herron VTPH2, which is also a great phono stage. Does anyone have any information about the PH6?

My current system is Primaluna Dialogue HP Integrated Amp, VPI Prime turntable, Ortofon Quintet Black MC cartridge, Sonus Faber Olympica III speakers. Much appreciation!
djfst

Showing 1 response by jadegrenade410

djfst

Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you made a good choice.  As expected I see a lot of good useful feedback here but also highlighting how much system synergy and personal taste comes into play.  I recently purchased a PH6 to pair with my LS-17SE preamp so thought I'd stick in a quick comment and question.

I'm currently running a VPI scout that originally had an Ortofon 2M Blue mounted but when I upgraded to the PH6 the overall combo of 5.5mV gain from MM cart, ARC gear and the diamond tweeter in my Usher's was a bit too forward even for me.  I talked to some people at ARC and they suggested the first place to go was higher-quality but lower output cart.  I wanted to stay with Ortofon but was also concerned about the 0.5mV the Quintet's put out so just bought the Blue model again for comparison.  The change was night and day, best sound I've had to date.  No issues with too little gain or having to crank the preamp volume way up so I wouldn't let that prevent anyone from at least taking the time to audition a PH6 with lower output MC.  Note that I am running a set of balanced ICs terminated with RCA on phono stage end then XLR on the preamp end to take partial advantage of the LS-17SE's balanced inputs (+6db gain).

Long story short I'm considering stepping up from the Quintet Blue and wondering if you could comment on the Black versus other carts you've owned.  Also for the group if anyone has other recommendations in the sub $1000 range I'd appreciate the input.  I'd like to hang on to as much detail as possible while balancing the tendency of my system to get too bright/forward if I let it.  Thanks.