Audio Research D-115 MKIII tube amp..

I have some gear that I may trade towards this tube amp....I cant find any reviews or info...I know its 100 watts/ch, and was quite expensive in its day..

Can anyone tell me how good it was? it would be hooked to a Berning TF-10 pre and Electrovoice 12TRXB's.
jsujo

Showing 1 response by tubegroover

I owned one and really liked it a lot, great staging, a lot of umph in the bass but as noted by Silab, not as controlled as what you can currently find albeit at a price. The upper frequencies in comparison to the better tube amps out there currently is also not extended and I always noted a glare I couldn't completely eliminate. It uses a lot of power, about 400 watts at idle, is a royal pain to bias, you need a long probe to get between the cluster of 4 outputs per channel and the bias is quite high at 65ma. As far as I'm concerned for 1K you aren't going to find a new tube or ss amp that will touch this level of performance at this power rating cause the bottom line is it makes music and can power quite a few speakers out there.

It cost 3k new and production stopped in 1989, right before introduction of the "Classic 60". I like the D-115 Mk 2 better myself, the Classic had a bite that the all tube D-115 didn't. Maintenance could be an issue but it is a good design and of course you always have the support of ARC. I sold it about 4 years ago to a friend that still has it along with an SP-10 Mk 2. I always enjoy listening to his system.