Audio Research CD5 vs McIntosh MCD500?

I have the opportunity of grabbing any of these at a very good price, I have heard the McIntosh but not the ARC. Any suggestion? Thanks
rapet

Showing 2 responses by rapet

Thanks, the funny thing is that I have a pre/amp McIntosh (C48 and MC252) and pre/amp ARC (L17 and VS115). The first one all transistors, the second all tubes. I use both of them depending on music and mood as I find them quite different. However I do not want to use two players, my idea is to get one and connect it to both systems (using XLR and RCA)...There is my dilema...
Yes, I have the KT120 and do not intend to upgrade to the SE version as I believe is not a clear sonic improvement. I listened to it with a similar amplifier and same speakers (SF Cremonas) and did not notice anything special, in fact, it has less gain than the old version (6 dB vs. 12dB).

My only concern about the CD5 is that is way more limited than the MCD500, since this one has digital inputs, can be used as a preamp, and reads SACD. I have about 50 SACDs and my collection keeps increasing as I believe that is a big sonic improvement. It is very weird why ARC still thinks that SACD does not worth a new player. It is obviously superior.

After being almost dead, the SACD format is living a reinassance since some labels are releasing new titles, for instance EMI just announced that they will remaster part of their catalog to SACD.