Are dome midrange better than cone designs?

I have noticed that companies like ATC and Audio Technology use a dome midrange. Is there and advantage to the dome design? It does not seem to be used much.
cdc
I was really enthused until I read Jtgofish's problems with imaging.
It is pretty simple to put the 4" Flexbar into a pre-made .375 cu-ft Parts-Express cabinet. Mating a good tweeter may be the problem as Audio technology recommends an x-over of 6kHz. X-over that low means it needs to be done right. i would imagine with such a high quality mid any defect will be VERY noticeable.
Just looking at parts cost, this speaker would be ~$800. use typical hi-fi 6x mark-up and they would cost $4,800 in a salon. Pretty good value if they can be done right.
I am afraid they will be too good and I'll have to upgrade to $10,000 Atma-shpere amps.

Cdc: "I was really enthused until I read Jtgofish's problems with imaging."

Keep in mind, that's just Jtgofish's opinion and maybe so with those Yamaha models. Several speaker design (not neccessarily the driver) issues could be the culprit of stated negatives as well.

Shadorne and I both have ATC 100's, and I'm not sure I/we agree with Jtgofish's generalized statement. But that's just MY opinion.

Shadorne?

I really like the ATC's I have heard. One problem for me is the need to be played loud before they come alive. Shadorne's ATC link also mentioned this.
Is this true with all dome mid's? I only listen at 60-70dB and 75 is getting pretty loud. That is why I have been able to live with tang-bands 3' ~full range speaker.
I suggest you discuss this on Selah Audio's AudioCircle site. Rick Craig has a lot of experience with dome mids and is very approachable.