Are cable “upgrades” just as likely to make your system sound worse?

Many of us with highly resolving systems have found that speakers cables and interconnect cables can improve the sound quality of our systems. But are they also just as likely to do the opposite?

A few months ago, I “upgraded” to a renowned speaker cable, and immediately noticed more detail and resolution. I was so pleased I also “upgraded” the interconnects. But with more time I realized that the trade-off for more detail was a thinner sound with diminished tonal richness. Thus began a maddening series of attempts to fix the problem – different speaker cables, different DAC, different streamer, and now even a 30 trial of a new amplifier to try to overcome the thinness and find a more natural tone. It finally occurred to me to replace the out-of-sight-out-of-mind interconnects (with my original interconnects), and immediately the problem was blessedly solved.

Have others experienced this frustration? What recommendations do you have to avoid such fiascos?

wester17

Showing 1 response by deep_333

I’ve generally not liked the sound of anything with silver in it, whether it’s touted as an upgrade or not. OCC or OFC is where it’s at for me.

Cable deniers: If i passed a blind a/b comparison 20/20 times (statistically significant) in my rig+room on a couple of tracks between 2 cables i own, i.e. i’ve passed such a comparison before... You would refer to me as a scientific anomaly, i.e., there ends your science.