Arcam AVR 600 owners, I have a quick question

I set up my AVR 600 last night, wanted to know how to use the mic that comes with the unit. I need to set the db level for each speaker. I do not have an spl meter. Thanks for the help. John
128x128jmy_2469

Showing 2 responses by kazmann

Plug the supplied arcam mic into the "AUX" port on the front of the receiver. The mic itself should be placed in the listener's position roughly ear level. Then you have to jump into arcams gui menu on your tv. Make sure the room is as silent as possible, and if you have a subwoofer set it to a conservative position (1/4 or 1/2 volume). For receiver volume level (since you don't have a spl meter) I would put it at 30.0 to 35.0 setting on the receiver. In arcams menu on the tv go select "auto setup" and select run. At this point it should be really quiet in the room because the eq starts right away. You'll hear noise being played through each speaker twice before its done. The eq does not enable itself automatically once finished. At that point you have to enable it under the "input config" menu at the top of the page.

Results may vary for the eq. Sometimes you have to run it a few times to get the right speaker distances and sound level to come up correct. Any slight nuisance in the room can throw the eq off. I personally don't like the way the eq sounds with the exception of playing movies. For music and videogames I stay away from the eq setting. Now if you're unsure whether or not you prefer the eq on or off use the remote to toggle the eq. I don't have the remote in front of me right now since I'm not at home, but if you press the "shift" button near the top left of the remote then press the "play" button on the bottom half of the remote it should toggle the eq on or off. You should see it toggle on the vfd display on the receiver. Using the remote to toggle is nice because you can do it on the fly while listening to music or playing a movie. I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions ask me on this thread or email me.

Best regards,
Kody
I forgot to add this, but if you need a decent spl meter that works really well... Go to radio shack and buy their store model. Its only $45-50 and it works like a charm. I use it at home since I'm manually setup. It even has decent reviews. It looks like this http://www.eclecticelectronics.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/radioshack-spl-meter-unboxing-09-1024x680.jpg If I'm not mistaken the arcam mic has a built in spl meter. It should sort out the sound level automatically when you run the eq. I could be wrong, but it doesn't hurt to have an spl meter handy.