ARC VSi75SE v. MF Nu-Vista 800

I have an offer to purchase either an Audio Research VSi75SE or a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 800 at roughly the same price, new-in-box.  But there's no way for me to audition either in-person beforehand.  Does anybody have an opinion, based on first-hand experience, comparing the two components' sound quality?

These integrateds would be powering a pair of Harbeth C7-ES3 speakers with a MartinLogan sub.  They'll also do double-duty powering the front channels of a home theater, and will be connected to non-TV digital sources by a DAC/streamer, maybe a HiFi Rose.

Functionality issues make either candidate a compromise.  E.g., the ARC has no HT bypass, headphone jack, or sub out, and family members will give me grief about tube warm-up when they just want to watch TV.  And the Harbeths, despite a nominal 25wpc spec, would definitely benefit from the Nu-Vista's 300wpc.  OTOH, the MF has all the connectivity I need, but it's big and heavy, which will present problems in my room (and to my elderly back).

I'll work all that out, one way or the other, but rght now, my threshold issue is sonics.  I realize that both companies have distinct "house sounds" so I'd love to hear from anyone with first-hand experience comparing the two.

Thanks.

cundare2

Showing 6 responses by ghdprentice

OP,

I have got a seventy + year old back as well. I use talk and if necessary a $20 bill or two to deal with heavy equipment. There are all sorts of ways to arrange for you not to have to lift audio equipment. I will definitely not compromise the sound at my age to a trivial problem like my ego says I have to do this myself.

I would without question recommend the Audio Research for sound quality. I am very familiar with all their products. Less so with MF… but have read lots. However, since they are going to be part of a tv system… that is a different story. 

First headphone jacks out of nearly all, even high quality components are not good… so not much of an asset. Also, if you are talking about 5 channels, the center should be the same speakers, and not of wildly different sonic character from the other channels. 

Just as an aside… it is much preferable to separate two channel audio systems from HT if you can. Vastly different objectives and requirements. If I had say $25K for systems… I would put $20K in audio in a separate audio system and $5K in HT. But you may not be able to do this.

So, I guess the MF wins if this is the only two choices. 

If there are options… I’d be happy to look at the whole picture. There is a place to put photos and I’d your existing components under Virtual systems. I am 71, so this doesn’t come from a young whippersnapper,

The ARC amp will outperform the MF. More real, natural, musical sound. I suppose it depends on how much time you run your HT. Lots of folks run the HT way more than the 2 channel. The start up time is a couple minutes… I have a friend with one… he will tell me exactly next time when he starts his up next time. My Ref 160s is 3.5 minutes.

If your HT is on 8 hours a day and a couple hours for audio only. That is going to cause you to replace the tubes every year. If that is not a problem… the definitely go for it.

My concern would be the difference in character between the center and surrounds given really natural musical sound to the FR and FL and budget solid state to the center and surrounds.

To see where I am coming from look at my virtual systems. My HT is B&W 805 speakers and two subs with Meridian Surround and Rotel 250wpc amp. My main system Sonus Faber speakers and all Audio Reseach components. I have a separate headphone system Aurrender/Ayre/Woo 300b. So I am familiar with the tradoffs.

@cundare2 

Wow, that does not sound right.. but I can’t refute it with any knowledge. I’ll do a little research. I’d like to know. But it sure does not sound right.

OP,

On the topic of the Pass Integrated. I auditioned the INT 75 (and Luxman integrated $10K). What I was struck with was the excellent rhythm and pace of the Pass. It really got the beat with a pretty good midrange. I compared against the ARC I-50 and the Luxman… they formed a continuum from the bright detailed lean non-musical Luxman, the musical… well done solid state Pass and then the ARC - luscious but detailed musical sound. Big jumps between the three. 

@arafiq

Actually what you say is completely consistent with the performance of these amps… for with someone who values lively detailed sound. Luxman would be perfect for you. Your comments on the Pass INT 25 sound right on, it is not that high a power so the Pass INT 60 would provide more solid sound. The ARC would sound a bit dead to you because it does not have the sparkle of the Luxman. Audio Research folks are looking for the natural musical perspective, and it delivers that (at an incredibly low cost).