ARC REF150 & WILSON SASHA 1

Has anyone tried this combo?
Or can anyone direct me to a thread which covers this.
I can find comments on Alexia but not much on Sasha1.

I currently have Sasha1 with Bryston 14BSST2
I am about to purchase an ARC REF150 but am not sure if it will be enough for the Sasha1.

Thank you
128x128rob67

Showing 12 responses by rob67

George, thank you for your response (although not what i wanted to hear).
It seems Ill have to put further consideration into it.
Well i really appreciate the information from you all. The time taken and detail is very helpful. Thank you.

George i see from the data it is clear the JC1 would be a better match.
There is a Pass X350.5 available near me too. (I am in Australia). I assume the Pass, Bryston14 and JC1 would have similar characteristics with the sashas. Although i havent had the possibility to compare, would love to try the Pass.

The ARC ref150 appeals to me more (if it performs correctly with Sasha).
gpgr4blu, Al & Charles your comments are very encouraging, although i am aware what you want to hear is easier to listen to.

I emailed ARC and they reply any of the REF amps 75w and up will drive sasha without difficulty and recommend running off the 8ohm tap.

Jafant, I have heard the Transparant Audio Cables are great with Sasha.
I am very curious to compare them with what i currently have. Clear Day Double shot guns (also have XLO Electrics Signature cables). I do like my LS26 but will keep an eye out for Ref5se !

At this stage i feel i will purchase the ref150 (the one in question is not SE btw) and give it a try! It is not all that easy to find one here. If it doesnt perform well I will resell (or start a second system around it) and look out for JC1 or perhaps Pass for the sashas.

Thank you all again
Rob
gpgr4blu, i will be sure to let you know how i go. It may be a week or two before i reply. The ref150 im looking at has the stock KT120 (just re-tubed). Interesting to hear you found the KT150s marginal/noticeably better. Ive read some comments on this topic.
Rob
I picked up the Ref150. (Not any easy task in itself). Will be connecting to Sashas this weekend.
Hi kalali
I purchased the Ref150 used.
It has been serviced and re-tubed with new KT120s.
Yes, you are probably right, unfortunately.....
That low extension is very nice too !

I have since picked up and listened to the Ref150 !!
I must say its a great sounding amp.

With the Wilson Sasha 1s, 8 ohm tap (4 ohm sounded wrong).
In brief, compared with the Bryston 14BSST2, the Bryston is fast and commanding, especially in the lower frequencies, but in my opinion the Ref150 does everything else better.

I switched amps quite a number of times to A/B them.
Very different amps of course (tube vs SS).

I found the Ref150 wider, deeper, more realistic, detailed, had longer reverb tails, more relaxed, open, organic, musical....

The Bryston is also a great amp and i enjoy its energy and speed, it can be more exciting (music dependent) less flattering, a bit more clinical. Sounds in the mid/high & high frequencies seem to compete a bit in comparison to the Ref150.

I thought "oh no ill have to keep both amps" Bryston for more aggressive music, as it is more impressive down low and with fast attack, (where the Ref150 seems to be lacking).

But after a while i started feeling rather than the Ref150 lacking, perhaps the Bryston was exaggerated. Perhaps the Bryston is what i am used to and different can sometimes seem "wrong" initially. Bryston is known to be quite flat though.... Regardless that Bryston punch is fun at times.

I will spend a little more time with both, playing differing musical styles. The Ref150 with the Wilson Sashas may be a bit slow & light on Low frequencies but ill give it more time. I am also considering trying it with the KT150 tubes, this may give me just that bit more energy im missing after the Bryston. I emailed ARC and they gave the tube swap the ok.

Linn LP12, ARC PH3, ARC LS26, the amps... Wilson Sasha1
Best, Rob
Almarg.
You are correct, biamping would present all sort of problems, not to mention the sasha wont accommodate it. Thank you for a more technical insight.

Charles1dad
"more realistic, relaxed, open, organic and musical". That's saying quite a lot and especially in important areas".
Very true, it is saying a lot and I couldn't agree more with your comment:
"It seems there are often trade offs to accept when comparing components" a lesson to be learnt there for me.

I appreciate your comments.
I will attempt practicing contentment, but still i wonder if there is an amp which can cover all aspects.... I wonder if the KT150 will give that bit extra.

I will report back in time regards the KT150

Best, Rob

gpgr4blu
I hope you are correct in saying what i am describing is the difference between SS and Tube (not a lack but a different presentation).
If i could pick a word...SS has fast ATTACK!

I particularly like your comment " Think of what will satisfy you in the long term based upon the type of music you listen to most of the time".

This resonates with me. Although ill add "also what music you will end up listening to, now that Ref150 is here".

The 150 has found me questioning, what are you going to enjoy in the future? I find it interesting that the amp has made me question this. Almost like it is leading me in a direction, sooner rather than later, a direction that i would have gone down eventually.

Knghifi
I will look out for the AC power cables you mention, although I am in Australia so the model number may be different. If you know the AU equivalent please let me know. I would love to have the Ref250's with KT150 but that is rare here. ( I will keep an eye out !!).
There is a shunyata zitron cobra AC cable available here, do you think that may be ok?

I must say i know nothing of cables... interconnect, speaker, AC or otherwise...

In the mean time i am upgrading my Linn LP12 , Cirkus, Trampolin, Dynavector XX2 MK2.. (whilst simultaneously  looking at other options in turntables, VPI, SOTA, etc). Not totally convinced with the LP12 as yet.

Ordered a Clear Audio Smart Matrix RCM & also looking at upgrading phono stage from ARC PH3 to Herron or K&K etc...

Lots going on...

Next weekend i am driving 10 hours (melbourne to sydney) to buy a used ARC Ref5se (currently i have a LS26) I will keep you posted.

All the best and thank you for your support.
Rob
Hi Guys
I have purchased a few things.
The setup is now:
Linn LP12
Herron VTPH2
ARC Ref5se
ARC Ref150
Wilson Sasha

I am currently getting a LOMC DVXX2mkii fitted to the Linn.
Looking forward to it.

I am also buying a PS Audio P5 (used)
I have no idea what to expect but I am curious.

I assume i will run everything from it with the exception of the ARC Ref150.

Any tips would be much appreciated.