ARC Ref 110 with KT 150 tubes

I am currently running a Ref 100 with KT 120 tubes, no probs, net gains on the old 6550s. But has anybody gone a stage further and used KT 150s? Any potential problems, you think?

Many thanks for advice.
ginellis1

Showing 4 responses by david12

ARC has just pronounced on the latest Reference amps, 75/150/250/600, approving a straight swap of KT120's and 150's and the 150's are a big improvement for my reference 75. That did not include the Ref 110, as far as I can remember. I suggest you ask your dealer or ARC. If you ask ARC, don't hold your breath, they took over a year to decide on the models I listed above
Jasper, If I may answer your question. I have had a thread running for about a year, on this subject. If you look towards the last few posts on

"New KT150 tubes?"
There is indeed a recent ARC pronouncement referred to, to the effect that KT150's are approved now, in the amps I mentioned. I suggest you look at that thread
David
Jasper
I have contacted my dealer, but not recently and they made no comment on the KT150s. I got tired of waiting and just changed to the 150s anyway, with a big improvement.

If you were really sneaky and the amp broke down, you could just put the old 120s in, that the amp came with and take it to the dealer. I never said that and of course, would not stoop so low. A large number of people have been using the 150s in the Ref series, for a long time, with no problems. I decided to switch when I was told that a significant number of rooms in the last RMAF were using 150 equipped ARC Reference amps. If it is good enough for dealers and manufacturers, it's good enough for me. I understand you want to be 110% certain of ARCs view on amps within their warranty.
Ghasley, I contacted one of the manufacturers using the 150's in the Ref 75 at RMAF. He told me there were no modifications, just switched tubes and biased in the same range as the 120's, couldn't be easier