ANything beat onkyo for ht receiver $500?

Need hdmi 1.3, 3 0r 4 inputs, would like to go Denon but they are a bit pricey...
128x128phasecorrect

Showing 3 responses by blindjim

Onkyo TX SR805/806 have 1.3A HDMI... 3 in, 1 out.

By lessening the load on the receiver, ie., more eff speakers or adding an amp, the hot running aspect becomes a non thing. My 805 drives the center, and two surrounds only. I use an outboard amp for the mains. Mine doesn't run any hotter than any other reciever I've owned. In fact I think my sony rec in another room actually feels hotter to me.

The 805 does sound pretty good though, especially if any budget issues are involved. it's a nice enough rec that I paid way more than any 500 or 600, as I got mine right after they first came out... and they come out pretty doggone often it seems.
I do! I do! In a dedicated room too!

... uh... but I'll need to borrow someone's credit card for the Denon & HK buy in.

... but it will be a blind test too. ;-)
Comparitively speaking... Onkyo v Sony... the Sony is head and shoulders more a forward (geographically speaking) sound than is the Onkyo. the O is vastly more refined and laid back. S possesses much greater slam or impact and the bass has more authority.

Now owning one of each, albeit the Sony is of their 'es' line up from a few years back, speaker matching will make a very good bit of difference in each case.

I can run much higher eff speakers on either one, however I prefer to use lower eff on the Sony.

A better pc for the Onkyo does help out too... though not as grandly as I had hoped. All in all, each unit has a bit something different to offer sonically but I don't feel the Onkyo is anytjhing close to being an in your face or hard to take device... in fact I think it is close to being spot on with it's presentation, and most pleasing.